Chapter 11. A Thousand Knives

Mya's POV

A deep frustration settled in the pit of my stomach as I realized I wasn't free from my ex-husband like I thought or hoped I was. Concern for my daughter's safety overwhelmed me but I didn't want the MC members involved in anything because it wasn't their business—it felt like an invasion of privacy. I didn't want them to know every detail of my past personal life. My father and boyfriend may be a part of the MC, but that didn't mean I needed to be involved with all of that. My boss expressed concern about my image because my boyfriend was a part of a motorcycle club. Of course, there was no proof of any wrongdoing in the club.

When I decided to give Linc another chance, I didn't mean I wanted to be overly involved with the club. I cared about the people in the club but didn't care or want to be involved with what they were doing. Most of the women had an idea of what they were doing, but we weren't allowed to know every little detail about the choices they made. 

Before I picked Lilly up from school, I spoke with the principal, informing him that if my ex-husband were to show up, he should immediately call the police because of the restraining order. 

Lilly looked at me confused when she saw me. "Mommy, I thought I was riding the bus?"

"No, baby. I changed my mind. I'd feel better if you were dropped off and picked up."

I gave the principal a list of people who would be allowed to pick up Lilly when I spoke to him about the seriousness of not letting Damen take Lilly, including proof of custody papers and the restraining order that followed me to California from New York.

Just as we pulled into the driveway, I heard the loud acceleration of a truck coming up the street. I told Lilly to stay in the car and jumped out of the vehicle. A sigh of relief escaped my mouth when I realized it was Linc's truck, but halfway through the sigh, fear washed over me. What is he in such a hurry for? Something bad must have happened.

Linc came into the drive so fast that the brakes squealed when he came to a stop. He jumped out of the truck and came flying around it. "Mom overdosed. I need to get to the hospital. Can you watch the kids for me?" he asked as he headed for the back door to help the kids get out.

"Y-yeah, of course," I stammered. I shook my head in shock trying to clarify what he just told me. Linc handed me his youngest sister Lindsey who just turned three, and he turned back to help Dominic out of the car who was nine. Darren was thirteen and he was still in the front seat looking straight ahead. 

Linc opened the passenger front door. "Come on, Darren."

"No, I'm going with you."

"No, you're staying here. Now get out of the damn truck. I got to go. I don't have time for your shit," Linc snapped at him. 

I had to agree with Linc, I didn't think it was smart for Darren to go with. Darren was older, but not by much. If his mother didn't make it or if he saw her in that condition, it could really have a negative impact on the rest of his life—things Darren has witnessed have already been traumatic enough. 

"I'm thirteen. I can handle it. I want to see Mom!" Darren shouted the last part. His face turned red with anger, but his eyes were clouded with fear and sadness.

"Darren. . ." I trailed off. "Come on, honey. Linc will call as soon as he hears anything about your mom."

Darren took a deep breath. "Please," he murmured. His eyes pierced Linc's eyes. "Please," he repeated.

"You don't need to see her that way," Linc argued.

"Who the fuck are you kidding? I'm the one that found her. I'm the one that has been taking care of her. You haven't done shit. Lately, all you care about is drowning in self-pity and getting her back," Darren said and pointed at me.