That Accursed Estate (A Short Novelette)

Part I: A Mournful Prelude

It had been long whispered among the tired souls of the workhouses that Worthington Hall, that grand but forsaken monument to wealth and vanity, held dread secrets within its shadowed corners. Yet, such secrets fell from the lips like the dust of the tomb; no man or woman who knew truth from timorous legend spoke of it in aught but hushed tones of dread.

It was upon the threshold of this accursed estate that a quartet of fearful workhouse survivors, accompanied by a sullen carriage driver, Thomas, now stood. They were compelled to venture to the dilapidated manor by the master of the workhouse, Dr. Barker, the strict ruler, driven by the necessity of securing it for wealthy newcomers, who, unbeknownst to them, would soon inherit the terrors that had lain dormant for too long.

The group of misfortune-laden individuals comprised three men—Drake, a sturdy man who'd been once a dockworker; William, an ex-instructor skilled in the arts of literature; and John, a quiet ex-blacksmith. Alongside them, two young women—Emily, a seamstress of some repute, and Margaret, the widow of a solicitor—found themselves bound, by fate or ill fortune, to undertake the loathsome task.

Part II: The Unsettling Arrival

Drawn by the lure of escape from the workhouses' wretched confines and the promise of a new tomorrow, these three men and two women reluctantly accepted the task of purging the cursed manor of the remnants of the past

Drawn by the lure of escape from the workhouses' wretched confines and the promise of a new tomorrow, these three men and two women reluctantly accepted the task of purging the cursed manor of the remnants of the past. Cautious whispers accompanied their journey, but the enormity of Worthington Hall soon silenced those wary murmurs. As they crossed the threshold, the mansion's oppressive atmosphere swallowed them whole.

Under dim light, they beheld the decay of opulence, the extravagance now stained by time's defiling touch. Thomas remained tight-lipped, dispatching them to their duties with an anxious glance, as if the mansion's very walls were listening. Dusty sheets were thrown aside, revealing furniture once the envy of high society, now rotting upon the cold marble floor. Yet, within these lifeless remnants, something stirred.

Drake, a rugged man with the haunted look of a wounded veteran, ventured into the west wing. Margaret, a middle-aged woman with steel in her gaze, delved into the mysteries of the library, while her sister, Emily, explored the vastness of the ballroom with hollow eyes. The other two, William and John, lent their strength to the clamorous labor in the unseen corners of the sprawling estate.