"Be Ready for Anything."

A/N: I do apologize that this chapter is quite long, but it's because, after this, the story will be following the storyline of AOT, with some of my writing involved. I will add more of my details along the way so please don't worry.

After the Ceremony

When the ceremony ended, the Cadets changed out of their uniforms before going to the mess hall to celebrate the well-deserved meal. Some were still cheering, which echoed in the archways as they left the courtyard. Tessa and Hange continued smiling because it reminded them of when they graduated. It still felt like yesterday to them, from graduating at the top of their class to now being significant leaders in the Scouts. With the courtyard vacant, Hange watches Tessa walk down the staircase to the center, which makes Hange raise a brow, "Cat, you okay?" She asks. While looking over her shoulder, Tessa nods, "Yeah, I just need a minute to reminisce." She confesses, and Hange smiles, "Take all the time you need, Cat. Do you want me to wait for you?" She asks, and Tessa shakes her head, "No, don't worry about me. I'll see you back at base." She reassures her, to which Hange nods before waving goodbye.

After Hange left, Tessa looked at the midnight sky and sighed because she couldn't believe this was her life seven years ago. She was only twenty-three, a doctor, and then a top model Cadet. Though Tessa was ready to transition from being in the Cadets to joining the Scouts, everything did change that night, but not how Tessa had planned. In meeting the Commander of the Military Police at the time, then learning her Instructor had forged her signature, to leaving that night to the Interior. At first, it angered and scared her because she thought it would be for the rest of her life. However, looking back on it now, she wouldn't change it because it got her to where she is now. Kip wouldn't be at her side, possibly never seeing and being with Levi, meeting many great friends and comrades, and becoming a pillar of hope for the people as Humanity's Graceful. Tessa wouldn't change it now because it was supposed to happen for a reason, like everything else.

Tessa takes one last look at the night sky and feels Kip nudge her leg, which breaks her focus, "Hey, Kip," She whispers while petting his head, "You ready to head back?" She asks, and Kip barks, "Okay, boy, let's go. Levi's probably waiting for us." She smiles as they leave the courtyard. While walking through the quiet city, Tessa hums a familiar tune, and Kip stays at her side, wagging his tail as he listens to her. However, her humming ends when she hears mugs clinking together and murmuring from inside the building beside her. Tessa hears Connie and Sasha cheering, to which Tessa smiles as she leans against it, out of sight. Suddenly the hall goes silent, and Tessa's ears and Kip's perk up, wondering what happened just now. She turns her head at the window to listen to one of the Cadets talk about how they can't beat them until another familiar voice catches her attention.

"Yeah, so what?" It was Eren, and he was defending the Scouts. Tessa smiles at how determined and the faith Eren has in the branch. She sees Kip wagging his tail as they both listen in, to which Tessa brings a finger up to her lips because they need to be discreet. Tessa turns her head to listen in again, "Things have changed. It may not be a hell of a lot, but enough. Titans are not the mystery they were five years ago. The Scouts have made progress because they are not giving up. Every battle we faced has given us the tiniest inroad of hope. And that's what being a Scout is! Being the hope for the people in the darkness that surrounds us!" Eren boasts, and Tessa's eyes widen that Eren still holds onto what she had said to him when they first met. She listens to the rest of Eren's speech and sighs because he's not the same kid he was five years ago, though he is still the same knucklehead from last year. Suddenly the sound of a slamming door silences her thoughts as she sees Eren, Mikasa, and Armin sitting on the steps. Tessa watches the three friends sit there as she watches from the shadows.