14

Escaping the Shrieking Shack

"So, Dumbledore's little spies come to keep us out of Hogwarts?"

Merlin, his cousin's voice was annoying. Sirius and Lily had been shoved against a wall, still bound and gagged. The three Death Eaters, two masked, stood before them.

"Why don't you tell us how you found us, and we'll kill you once you ask, hm?" Bellatrix asked in a mockingly pleasant voice.

"We cannot kill them, you fool," one of the masked Death Eaters said. Sirius thought his voice sounded familiar, but he couldn't place it. "The Dark Lord needs the Mudblood to get Potter, and he wants Black alive."

"Oh, spoiling my fun." The demented witch laughed. "I'm certain you'll be begging to tell me what you know before long."

"Let's start with Black," the same Death Eater suggested. Sirius could hear the sneer behind the mask.

"Why would we do that?" Bellatrix asked. "We have a Mudblood right here." Sirius had wondered once or twice if his family hated him or Muggleborns more. Now he knew, but he never wanted to find out at Lily's expense. Bellatrix grabbed Lily's red hair, yanked the cloth tied around her mouth away, and threw her to the center of the room.

*************************(Beginning)******************************************

Lily coughed when thick dust billowed up around her. "Go to hell, bitch, I'm not telling you anything."

Bellatrix laughed again. "But you will, wittle Mudblood. Crucio!"

Lily screamed.

Sirius looked away. He wished he didn't have to hear her scream.

"I could make this all stop. The Dark Lord has made you generous offers in the past. Perhaps if I tell him what a good little Mudblood you've been, he'll make you another."

Through Lily's heavy breathing, Sirius heard her proclaim just what Voldemort could do with his 'generous offer.' Bellatrix crucioed her again.

Sirius had to stop this. He couldn't just sit there while these bloodthirsty maniacs tortured his best friend's wife, the woman he looked at like a sister. But what could he do, tied up and wandless?

"What were you sent here to do?"

Lily's soft crying made Sirius wish he could trade her blood with his, just so Bellatrix would leave her alone. But Lily's fiery spirit that James loved so much was strong.

"I won't tell you anything. Why don't you go back to the hole you crawled out of!"

"You should be nicer to me. I can make your life more painful than it already is. Or your pathetic husband's. What do you think he would do if I sent him some of your hair?"

"Leave him alone!"

"Crucio!"

Sirius strained furiously against his bonds and bit at his gag.

"Tell me why you were sent here!"

"Please! Please, stop!" Lily begged.

"Crucio!"

"While amusing, this does not seem to be the most effective of interrogations," the second masked Death Eater finally spoke up.

"What do you have in mind?" Bellatrix snapped.

"You are the most skilled and creative of the Dark Lord's followers when it comes to the Cruciatus Curse, Bellatrix, but why waste your magic on a sniveling Mudblood? She's a Muggle, why don't we torture her like one?"