Wattpad Original
There are 16 more free parts

Cornflower

John's back is stiff, his eyes focused on my face while he opens his mouth and closes it again. "That's why she was in the forest that night with her friends?" he finally asks.

My hands shake and I stuff them in my pockets. "Yeah." I tell myself I don't care how he reacts, but my body is reacting to the stress of waiting on its own. My throat is closing on itself, my fingers are twitching in anticipation, and my feet want to run from the room. I somehow manage to keep them rooted in place.

He nods once, runs his hand down the length of the stubble on his cheeks, something I've noticed he only does when he's too stressed for words.

Sophie lets out a single laugh. "She was going to kill you?"

"I was going to kill her too." I sound more defensive than needed.

John takes a step forward. His dirty work boots look out of place in Sophie's office, against the polished hardwood flooring. "I'm all for you finding—" he clears his throat, "someone to love but... You're not interested in any vampires?"

"God, John," Sophie groans.

"What?" He holds his hands up in defense. "What's wrong with that?"

Sophie slaps his arm. "You sound like a dad who's asking his lesbian daughter why she's not interested in any of the boys in her class," she snaps, then mutters something in Spanish. "I know you're old but Jesus Christ."

I rest my face in my hands, trying to hide the blush from my cheeks but can't help the chuckle that escapes my mouth when Sophie mimics John's deep voice and slight twang.

"Are you sure you don't want to date any of the cowboys on the ranch, Gwen?"

Sophie and I erupt into laughter as John waves us off.

"I didn't say that now, did I?" He's smiling and the mere sight of it makes the tangle of knots in my stomach loosen up. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

Sophie leans against her desk again, crossing her arms over her chest. "So, what do you want us to do, girlie?"

My throat goes tight. "You... You're okay with all this?"

"I'm not happy you're dating a hunter. I think it's dangerous." She looks at John and he takes over.

"One could say..." He clears his throat."...She could stab you in the back." He doesn't leave time for a response before he adds, "That's a good one, huh?"

Sophie's shaking her head, her fingers pressed into her forehead. "You had to."

John's about to make another joke, I can tell by the way the corners of his lips pull into a devious smile, but before he can speak, the office door flings open and the man on the other side lunges forward, slamming his fist into my jaw. The suddenness of the movement sends me stumbling back. Before I fall, the man grabs the collar of my shirt and pulls his fist back, ready to throw another one into my nose when John's voice booms through the room.

"Get your hands off of her before I rip your head off, boy!" The man doesn't respond, only looks at John with wild brown eyes. "I'll give you two seconds," John warns.

The man debates his threat for a moment, clenching his jaw. Finally, he pushes me back.

Sophie catches me before I slam into her desk, steadies me and puts herself in front of my body. I press my fingers to my jaw. My skin is warm, but it doesn't hurt. Not like it would if he punched me once the sun comes up.

"What's the deal, Parker?" Sophie asks.

He steps to the side so he can look at me. "It should have been her."