ℌUMAN

"Is it...supposed to hurt this bad to walk?"

 No. No, it was not.

 Adrien had just gained his new, human legs—a sentence that...sounded really weird out of context—which, naturally, meant he had to learn how to walk. You were hesitant to agree to teaching him, but you ultimately gave in. You were the reason he had these feet in the first place, so you might as well help him further.

 "No, it's not supposed to hurt...at all."

 The prince winced. He really looked to be on the verge of tears...Well, you couldn't blame him. It would surely hurt to walk if you weren't used to it.

 He got up, feeble little legs trying their best to stay standing. He took one step, before his legs gave out and he came tumbling back down.

 "Ow..." He groaned. "How do you humans do this all the time? It feels like I'm being stabbed by knives..."

 "Well, generally speaking, that's not how it feels for...most people. I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is mainly a problem for you."

 You took his hand, pulling him back up. Still clenching his hand, you took a step, leading him along. Slowly, he put one foot after the other, and while he almost fell...several times...it went fairly well.

 "Yes, yes—like that."

 You weren't certain how you felt about having to teach this man how to walk—it really wasn't your job—but nevertheless, you helped him as best you could.

 "I got it!" He giggled, ambitiously taking a bigger step than he probably should've.

 ...He fell.

 "...You have it, huh?"

 He blushed, taking your extended hand to pull himself up. "I—I can do it, I swear!"

 So, he tried again. And again. And again. And again—without fail, everytime he moved, he'd make the slightest amount of progress, and then faceplant onto the ground.

 But he didn't give up. No matter how utterly hopeless it looked—he just dusted himself off and tried again. You could admire that, in a sense, as the whole rinse-wash-repeat nature of the act would've been enough to irritate you if you were him.

 "...Do you need some more help?"

 "...Yes, please—"

 He could at least get himself to move a few inches past his starting point now. That was an improvement! Albeit, not the biggest advancement he could've made, but you had to give him credit where it was due. For someone stuck with a fish tail for all his life, he was learning...fairly quick.

 "You're doing well. Just keep—"

 You heard the sound of a twig snap. Judging by his shaken-up appearance, Adrien clearly heard it too.

 "W-what was that?"

 You obviously didn't know what had made the noise, but your mind immediately jumped to the possibility of it being dangerous. Without even thinking, you ran to hide behind the nearest available tree.

 "H-hey, [Y/N], wait for me—!"

 The footsteps grew closer.

 With your vision partially obscured from the leaves, you couldn't entirely make out the figure slowly approaching. You knew they had dark hair, and were fairly tall, but that was about it.

 They seemed to be passive, their movements not hinting at any potential dangerous intentions—still, you were suspicious. In the back of your mind, you knew you were being a little ridiculous. But it was simply in your nature.