Prologue

For those of you who are wondering, who this fella her is, I am the Legendary Colonel Tom Parker.

"Colonel Tom Parker, Legendary manager of Elvis and Darla Presley, has been rushed to Valley Hospital"

I am the man who gave the world Elvis Presley and Darla Osbourne. Without me, there would be no Elvis Presley and Darla Osbourne. And yet, there are some who'd make me out to be the villain of this here story.

"Colonel Tom Parker was a liar, a cheat, a con man. A shocking new book accuses Colonel Tom Parker of massive fraud and mis-management. Parker received as much as fifty percent of Elvis and Darla's income. He worked Elvis and Darla like mule's, to support his own gambling addiction. Many believe that Colonel Tom Parker was responsible for ending Elvis and Darla Presley's career, and the near death of Darla Presley"

"No! That's not true!" Tom Parker exclaimed, sitting up from his hospital bed breathing heavily. The man let out a grunt, as he slowly turned to the large window beside his bed and let out a shaky breathe.

"No, no, I didn't end their career. I made Elvis and Darla Presley" He breathed out, his eyes focused on the sign for the International Hotel.

Nothing all those muckrakers said in their books was true. Me, Elvis and Darla, we was partners. It was Elvis and Darla the showmance and the Colonel the snowman. I always knew I was destined for greatness.

As an orphan, i ran away to the carnival, where I learned to art of the "snow job," of emptying a rube's wallet while leaving them with nothing but a smile on their face. Bu the carnival act that would get you the most money, the most snow, had great costumes and a unique trick, that gave the audience feelings they weren't sure they should enjoy. But they do.

And I knew if i could find such an act, I could create the greatest...show...on...
Earth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the carnival, I moved into the music business...the country music business. I partnered with of it's biggest stars, Hank Snow. And his hapless son, Jimmie Rodgers Snow.

"Hot-diggity-dog, Billy. I got one" Jimmie called out, excitement very evident in his voice.

"Can't believe it. Blow their socks off" The boy muttered to himself, as he ran past his father and over to the record player to play the new record.

"Security. Security, Diskin! Tell the mayor of these towns that we need a police escort for Hank when he arrives. In Baton Rouge, we are going to have a carny wedding at the top of the Ferris Wheel, so, Zina, pick out your next husband. In New Orleans, we're gonna use the loudspeaker to announce you Hank" Parker explained, walking around the table.

"And for you my little friends, you are going to march in a parade"

"Am I gonna be riding on an elephant, too?" Hank spoke up from his seat.

"A man on an elephant looks important" Parker responded.

"We still need to get a novelty act to bring in the young folk" Mr Snow stated.

"Well, yes, yes, that's why you have a meeting with the Duke of Paducah tonight. If we can book "the Funniest Mouth in the South," we'll have the greatest show of the season" Said parker, but was cut off at the end by Hank, who had turned to his son.

"Hey, Jimmie, turn that record off" He ordered.

"Y'all have to hear this. Kids all over town are playing it everywhere I go" Jimmie said, turning the volume up.

"Dada Dede Dede, Dede Dede..."

"I hear Negro rhythms" Hank pointed out.

"But with a country flavour" Jimmie added excitedly.

"Sun Records? That's Sam Phillips' label" Diskin said, looking at the record cover.

"Oh, yeah, Phillips. He makes all those race records with the coloured singers" Parker stated.

"Well, these two are on the Hayride tonight, after me in the newcomer spot"

"In Shreveport? No, they are not putting a coloured boy on the Hayride" Tom said, shaking his head making Jimmie smile.

"That's the thing. They're white" The Colonel stopped what he was doing, and looked at Jimmie in surprise and disbelief.

"They're...They're white?" Parker questioned, just as the radio DJ spoke up.

"What do you think, Texarkana? Shall we play it for the twenty-seventh time?"

"Well, that's alright, mama. That's alright for you"

"Everybody's talking about these new Presley and Osbourne kids"

But it don't matter if you do ten stupid things, as long as you do one smart one.....