lesson six: being dependent isn't always bad

more?

"Do you know how stupid physics is?"

Anya looks up from the string of texts going between Kamala and Bruno right now and at Zoe, who's flopped down into the chair next to her.

"It's actually pretty integral to how the world works," Anya responds, an amused smile on her face, "but sure, it's stupid."

"It's all theory," Zoe retorts, taking out her notebook, "The higher you get in physics, the more fragile it is, you know."

"I know," Anya nods, glancing back at her phone in enough time to see Kamala call Bruno an idiot. She looks back at Zoe, "How was your weekend?"

"Boring," Zoe taps her pencil against her closed notebook, the eraser hitting the cover barely making a sound, "Yours?"

"I went into the city and saw my aunts," Anya shrugs, not really knowing how much detail she wants to get into. She knows that her group of friends now know about her family, but she and Zoe are still teetering on a weird edge in their relationship.

"Like New York City, city?" Zoe clarifies and Anya nods. "Have you seen it during Christmas yet? It's beautiful."

Anya shakes her head, avoiding eye contact for a split second, "I've only lived here since January, so, no... I just missed it."

"I have to take you!" Zoe exclaims, excited for a second before blushing hard and clamping her mouth shut. She takes a second to readjust, "My family goes into the city every year to see the tree. And my dad said I could go alone this year as long as I'm with someone... I'm sorry, I'm being overeager."

"It's okay," Anya can't help the smile creeping on to her face. She swallows the feeling, though, echoes of her Red Room training seeping into her consciousness despite knowing that it's not something she needs to worry about anymore. She can get excited about a cute girl wanting to take her to the city.

"You okay?"

Anya nods, not saying anything as the teacher moves to the front of the class and starts talking.

God, why does the Red Room have to keep ruining things for her?

She brushes the thought off and focuses on class, and leaves before Zoe can ask anything else, fully planning to procrastinate on her answer until gym.

After physics, she heads to lunch, where as per usual, Kamala and Nakia are already sitting and talking.

"I don't even have cash on me to do it if I wanted to. And you know my parents, they wouldn't let me," Kamala says as Anya sits down.

"If I'm going to be student body president, I need to start attending these things, though," Nakia insists, "Please, Kamala!"

"What are we talking about?" Anya asks, grabbing her water bottle and unscrewing the cap.

"Kamala won't go to homecoming," Nakia responds, face dropping for a second, "Oh my god, I forgot to tell you we're going."

"We're not going."

"We are," Nakia brushes Kamala off, "The tickets are only twenty bucks, Anya. Please, come! Bruno's going and I'm going to convince Kamala's parents to let her go."

"Better you than me," Kamala mutters as Bruno comes over.

Anya can't help but think about Zoe with the topic at hand. The blonde's spent the better part of the last week asking her to go and then follow her to the party after, but she's still yet to give her a clear answer.

"Kamala, I already bought a suit," Bruno says as Anya focuses back on the conversation at hand.

"Ugh," Kamala sighs, "Fine, I'll talk to my parents about it. No guarantees, though."