Vol. 1

Mark POV

Well that's weird. It had been almost an hour. Cesar normally would have called me by now. I guess I'll ignore it, maybe he's busy. I go back to doing my homework. It's senior year, and everything been getting more stressful. With the new T.H.I.N.K principle in place, people don't even want to go to the school anymore. I completely understand, I'm freaking out about this principle myself.

I stop when there's a knock at the door. Who would be here this late? Slowly, I grab my handgun and load another magazine. I walk downstairs as the knocking gets more rapid. "I'm going! Geez.." I unlock all three of the deadbolts and open the door to find a beaten-up Cesar. "Cesar? Wha-"
His bow-tie is undone, his white shirt and blazer are wrinkled and tattered. He's limping, his hair is messy and all over his face. He looks amazing though. Wait, what?

Cesar shoves me over, slams the door, and hesitates before locking all the deadbolts and the door itself. He's breathing heavily and there's bruises, and blood and tears streaming down on his face. "What the fuck is going on?" I ask, trying to sound comforting but I just end up sounding like I'm angry. Cesar drags me up the stairs and slowly explains to me through tears.

Cesar POV

It's almost time for me to call Mark. We've had this routine for a long time now, about two, maybe three years. I dial the first 5 numbers of Mark's phone, but that's before I'm cut off by a blood-curtling scream.

My mother.

We didn't lock the doors or the windows. It all clicks too fast in my head, and I run face first into my bedroom door. I don't bother going downstairs; I know it's too late for her. White fuzzy dots are swarming my vision as I lock the door. Too little too late. Someone, no, something bangs on my door. It's my mother's voice. I cover my ears, trying to rid of the noise, but my hands do nothing to drown out the sound.

Tears are streaming down my face, as I push up against the wall while my "mom" begs for me to open the door. The knob is rattling and she's knocking on the door with passive aggressive force. "Por favor, mi niño. Abre la puerta, Cesar. (Please, my child. Open the door, Cesar.)". It's getting to my head. I want to let her in... but I know that whatever is on the other side of my bedroom door is not my mother.

The window. My head tells me. What about it? Is there someone out there also? Or is it an escape route? I took a quick glance out the window to make sure the coast was clear, and it was. The worst I would get is a twisted ankle or something.
"Please, Lord, may you forgive me for whatever I do from this point forward." I silently pray. I open the window with a small struggle, and throw my leg over the sill. I take a look back at my room, and the door is now starting to break open. I look down at the ground, which seems a little farther than it did when I first looked down. I take a shaky breath, and fling myself over the side.

There's a sharp pain running up my right leg, but other than that, and the few little cuts I have, I think I'm fine. I stand up and immediately realize two things. 1.) I have definitely twisted my ankle. 2.) Whatever the "thing" is has caught on quickly and is now at the front door. I run, as fast as my legs can take me to Mark's house.