chapter fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
"I promise I'll keep my promise."

"I KNOW DANNY left but this is different, guys!" Juliet pleaded, one step in front of Ethan as she faced Sam, Tara, Chad, and Kirby. Kirby crossed her arms, unimpressed, while Same quirked a brow.

"How is this any different?" The eldest woman asked, jacket clinging to her skin tightly as she forced the memories of her teenage years away.

"Ethan was there for everything! Everytime I got attacked, or any of us got attacked, I was with him! Danny's only been there, what . . . once?" Juliet argued, brows furrowed as her hands splayed out in the air. The boy in question stood awkwardly behind them, feet shuffling against the ground. "No offence, Sam. I love you."

"Love you too," the older girl whistled, tilting her chin up as her narrowed eyes surveyed the girl.

"Look, I don't wanna make unnecessary drama but Ethan could've killed me millions of times yet he-"

"Let him in," Tara nodded as she stepped forward, twisting her feet to stand on the side with the couple. Ethan's head shot up with furrowed brows as Juliet raised her own. "I mean, even if he is the killer, isn't this what we want? We can't trap him if we lock him out!"

"She's got a point," Chad shrugged with a tilt of his head and a flick of his eyes. Juliet frowned.

"So now you listen?" She pointed with mock annoyance, narrowed eyes landing on his own as she tried to size him up. He quirked a brow, the girl instantly sagging her shoulders with a soft roll of her eyes.

"Just let him in, Kirby," Sam sighed, crossing her own arms as she turned to look at the woman.

"I can just stay out here if it's-"

"You're coming inside," Juliet muttered, not leaving time for the boy to argue as she grabbed his hand and practically dragged him towards the metal door. She turned around to look at Kirby, emotionless eyes boring into her dyed hair as Ethan apologetically forced a smile. The woman rolled her eyes, sending Sam an exasperate look, before shuffling over to the teens with a sigh and unlocking the door to the theatre.

"Thanks, Kirby," Juliet smiled brightly, faking her emotions as she pulled her boyfriend inside. As soon as she'd turned away, her smile fell, coursing a laugh out of the boy beside her.

"You didn't have to do that, you know?" He whispered as their friends began to follow them into the theatre. They continued walking forward, minding their own business as they tried to push the daunting feeling that came with their surroundings down to the pit of their stomach.

"Yes, I did," she mumbled, weaving slowly and carefully through the glass cases and bookshelves that held the masks of past killers. "I don't want you to be alone."

He sighed, his hand finding hers, as he helped guide her through the cases. She could easily do it alone, he just wanted a reason to hold her. "I don't want you to be alone either. I won't leave your side in here, alright?" She glanced up at him, their eyes finding each others, as she smiled with a nod. "I promise."

"Promise is a big word," she tsked with a tilt of her head. He raised his brows as he breathed out a chuckle.

"I know, and I'll keep it," he swore.

"You promise you'll keep your promise?" She asked with a light-hearted laugh, pushing a door open that led to another section of the theatre. He followed her through with a grin.

"I promise I'll keep my promise," he nodded, his eyes finally straying from her own as they latched onto the room in front of him. He furrowed his brows, his breath growing deep, as his eyes glanced around. "Uh, Julie?" She hummed, continuing to step forward, only to be pulled back by the hand connected with her own. "Where are we?"

She stopped, turning around to look behind her, seeing the theatre and the rest of their friends gone. "Oh no," she muttered with a shake of her head, head turning as she span around the room, eyes glazing over every unimportant object lying on the shelves. "I don't know. I don't know."

Ethan turned around as well, moving to look at their surroundings with the girl, only to find himself staring at one particular spot. "Shit," he cursed, hand tightening in the girls own, as his sight latched onto the figure of a cloaked killer. At first, he'd thought it was another sculpture of sorts, until it's foot moved. Then it's hand, then it's head. Then it moved forward. They moved forward.

"Julie, run!" Ethan shouted as he dropped her hand, quickly leaning down to grab ahold of a metal pipe lying by his feet. He swung it behind his back, watching the cloaked figure stop in their hurried steps as they seemed to survey the situation. The boy didn't dare glance back at the girl who'd ran from behind him, but by the little sound of a door closing, he knew she hadn't listened. "Julie," he sang beneath his breath, jaw tense as his feet bounced along the ground.

"The promise," she muttered from a few steps behind him, her feet ready to turn around and run for her life. Ethan cursed once more through a huff of air before he shook himself out of it, raising the metal bar even higher.

"C'mon, asshole. What're you waiting for?" He yelled, shaking his shoulders as his grip on the bar tightened. His voice was loud, not to project his false confidence, or to scare the girl behind him - no, to alert the others if they were close, if they were even listening.

The killer tilted their head as if in a tease before pushing off the floor once more, knife raised above their head. Ethan let out a yell as he swung the bar around his shoulder, using all his strength to whack the killer away from the two nervous people. Luckily, he had good aim.

The pole collided with the killer's stomach, sending them flying to the ground as their knife landed on the other side of the room. "C'mon!" Julie shouted, urging the boy to hurry as she started to move towards the door. On their way, the boy leant down and snatched the blade off the floor before following the girl out of the room, only just watching the killer pulling themselves to a stand.