chapter sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
"a tear in her eye and a tear in her heart."

ETHAN SLAMMED THE door shut as soon as he was out, leaning back against it as he heaved deep breaths. Juliet bent over, hands on her knees, as she squinted her eyes and turned her head to the side. She looked at the boy as they took a moment to breathe, the adrenaline from seconds earlier quickly fading away. It was soon that the beating of their hearts became too much.

"Jules! Ethan!" Tara and Sam shouted with both gratitude and urgency, running over to the pair with wide, traumatised eyes. The boy looked up at them, back staying pressed against the door, as his hair hung over his face. Juliet quickly stood straight again, wiping the beads of sweat from her forehead with the back of her shaking palm.

The two sisters immediately drew to a stop once having eyed the knife in the boy's hand. Ethan noticed this, looking down at his hand too with alarm, while Juliet stepped forward with a trusting smile. "It was the killer's! They're in there, we took it from them, I swear," the blonde said quickly, stuttering over her words. "I promise you."

The sisters shared a look before slowly nodding, the youngest letting out a breath before stepping forward and engulfing the girl in a hug. "I thought you were gone," she said, arms tight around the blonde's shoulders. "Chad, he . . . he . . ."

"Where is he?" Juliet asked with furrowed brows, pulling away to hold onto Tara's shoulders. The girl shook her head as a tear cascaded down her right cheek. She looked behind her at Sam, her face emotionless as she stared at her sisters back. That was all she needed to know - not that she wanted to. To her, Chad was dead.

She stepped back, eyes blurry as she shook her head. "No," she muttered, her voice a distance away from her body, before it was forcefully pulled back in with a bang. She let out a quiet yelp as she was pulled back, something pressed against her throat as the feeling of a thin material glided against the skin of her legs. That was when she realised, with a tear in her eye and a tear in her heart, she'd been there before.

Ethan reached forward, moving away from the door with wide, helpless eyes, as he tried to grab the girl's hand. His fingers reached hers, his hand tightening around her own, yet it still managed to slip away - she slipped away

"This feels familiar, doesn't it?" That same, robotic voice chuckled. Ethan tensed his jaw as he tilted his head, lips parting with worry as Tara covered her mouth with shaking hands. Sam's hands formed fists by her side, the girl subtly taking a step forward as she tried to sneak closer to the girl. "Drop the knife."

Juliet frantically shook her head at the boy, her actions speaking the silent words of don't do it, but the killer yanking on the back of her hair stopped her. She screamed, the feeling of her blonde roots clinging to her skin for their dear lives ripping through her head in jolts of unbearable pain. Ethan winced, eyes squeezing shut, as he let the knife drop to the floor. Her scream was all he had to hear to do anything.

The other killer, seemingly swooping out of nowhere, grabbed the blade from the floor in an instant. The masked figure holding the blonde girl away from her friends slowly pulled the knife away, pushing her towards them in one smooth action. She stumbled across the flooring, Ethan instantly moving forward to grab her by the waist and pull her towards him. He pushed her hair back as he kept his eyes on the killer, holding her close as she breathed in rasps into his chest.

Just as the girl pulled away, it only being mere seconds later, the killer that'd once been holding her pulled out a gun. She froze as her eyes widened, the thought of her being there when they pulled it out becoming too much. That could have been pointed at her head, the girl sobbing with the tip of a gun pressed against her fading skin. That could've been her - and that would've been it.