Chapter 5: Me and Drystan, a thing?

Ever since I skipped with Drystan we've just been getting closer and closer. I think I might like him, as more than friends. Sometimes he drops little hints like how he always wants to hold my hand and how he always comforts me when I'm feeling sad. I don't know, maybe he's just being a good friend and I'm reading into it too much. In the back of my mind I wonder if he just wants to get close with me to take advantage of me or something but that's just how I think, I know it's not true. "Yo Dev! How you doing? Missed you over the weekend!" He exclaimed. "Hey, I've been good, five days clean and I'm still drug-free! How have you been?" I asked. "Really good! I just celebrated 100 days clean a few days ago with my little bro and my mom even called me from work!" He cheered. "That's so good! I'm glad!" I agreed. For a little context, Drystan has a four year younger, twelve year old brother. His dad left when he was five and to this day, his mom still has to work two full-time jobs just to sustain her family. She is rarely home, but when she is all she does is sleep. He originally started in the drug dealing business to try and help his family but eventually he got in too deep to stop. His brother has been helping him deal because he's had to grow up way too fast. Drystan obviously doesn't approve but his brother won't give it up. That's why even getting a small call from his mom means that much to him. "Thanks, I'm so glad I can talk to you about anything." He smiled. Me too, I'm especially glad that it's reciprocal because all my life, it never has been, I thought to myself. But that's not what I said. "Me too! Now we should probably head to class, let's go!" I smiled.