It Took Me Eight Years, but You Only Took Two Months

(11 years ago)

"We've been together for six years, Jake. Six years. Now what? You want a breakup because you've found someone better than me? Is that what it is? After all the ups and downs we've celebrated and overcome, you still chose to love someone else and leave me alone... again."

"Alondra-"

"What did I do? Just, please. Please. Tell me — " tears were nonstop. If I had to beg for the rest of my life, I'd do it until I stop breathing, "Am I not enough? Is it because of my attitude? Or maybe my appearance? Maybe my cooking, right? You want to be with someone who knows how to cook. Yeah, I get it. That's fine. I'll enroll in a culinary school and make sure to feed you-"

"Baby, stop," he held both of my hands and squeezed those tightly. We were staring at each other while our eyes couldn't stop watering. "It's not about you. Nothing's wrong with you. My reasons aren't about your imperfections."

"What are you talking about?" his words made me bawl even harder. His innocent eyes were a disaster while conveying his emotions through them. "If it wasn't me, who? Don't tell me you just fell out of love, Jake. I won't accept it. If I didn't do anything, you wouldn't feel that way. It's me. Right? Just this once. Tell me the truth."

"It's not you," he shut his eyelids and pressed his lips. His cries were louder than mine, louder than my broken heart. He shortly fell on the floor without getting rid of my hands. "It's not you. It's about me, and I loathe myself for loving another woman besides you. I wanted to keep it a secret and live with you for the rest of our lives, but it would be unfair to you. I want you to get freedom and be away from me. I want you to be happy — "

I cut him off. "That's bullshit, Jake! You're bullshit! What's so good about her? Is she good at flirting? Is she a bed expert? Does she give you an unforgettable head's up? Why her?!"

"Please, don't say bad things about her-"

I pulled my hands and quickly slapped them on his cheeks. "Now you're defending her," I laughed sarcastically with a hint of pain. Tears raced down my cheeks again as I grabbed my chest, trying to rip it off. "I thought it was you. I thought you were the one. It should have happened earlier than today. You only wasted my six years for nothing."

(11 years later)

It has been eleven years since I saw him. I didn't know that he was staying in Canada for good. Seeing him in unfortunate condition made me feel good, but there was a part of me curious about what had happened after we parted ways. The Jake I knew was totally different from the Jake I was facing.

"Don't waste my time," I fixed my posture and took a sip from my hot chocolate. "Speak. I have a scheduled meeting at three."

He smiled a bit while his eyes were still on the table. "It's great to see you after a long time. How are you?"

"Thanks to you. I've gotten better," I answered coldly without breaking my stares at him. "Is that all?"