• five •

JJ

        Why are we always running? If the other boys saw us right now, they would laugh. We're running through houses and huts making our way to some place Cleo knows about. She says she knows they'll have a phone there.

"Uh, Cleo, where did you say this place was?" Kie asks as she runs in front of me. I watch her every footstep, every movement, making sure that she stays safe.

"Look I promise it should be just around the way here. Only a couple more blocks."

"And you said you know this guy, right?"

"Well, know might be a bit of an exaggeration. We may have, um- we may have robbed him once or twice." What?

"So, what you're saying is: we're asking for help from guy you stole from? Correct? Am I- am I hearing this right?"

"Yes, JJ. That is exactly what I'm saying okay? Just shut up and keep running." I would keep questioning and arguing with the girl, but the odds of me surviving anything against Cleo, Kie, and Sarah are close to none, so I decide to listen.

We run for a few more blocks, like Cleo said, before we reach what seems to be a run down corner store type deal. The sign above the doorway is crooked and weathered, so much so that I can't totally read what it says.

"Aye!" Cleo carefully walks around the place looking for someone to speak with. She calls out various things before finally finding a man. "You got a phone?"

"Do I got a- aye wait- you're that girl who stole from us some years back!"

"What- no- no that wasn't me. I have no- no idea what you're talking about." Way to be smoothe, Cleo.

"Yeah, yeah you are. Get the hell out of my store." I make eye-contact with Kie, knowing that now, we need to be ready to step in if needed.

"Nah. I need help, man. Just let me use a phone."

"And why should I help you, huh?"

"Because you know what happened last time you didn't help." The man watches her with an angry, smug look on his face before turning around and finding a phone behind the counter in the back of the store.

"That's my girl." I look over when Sarah talks, in both surprise and relief. I don't like it when she's quiet- it worries me. She looks back at me and I shoot her a look making sure she's really okay. The look she gives back to me tells me that she isn't really, but that it'll be okay eventually.

"You get one call, got it? One. Call."

"Yeah, man, one call. Now give me the fucking phone." I snatch it out of the man's hand and automatically go to finding where I can make a call. I locate the app and dial Heyward's number, one of the only numbers I have memorized. I've never had any real guardian's numbers to memorize, but Heyward made sure that I, at a very young age, had his number in case I ever needed to leave my home and go to his. He's the most real parent I've ever had, and I thank him for that. I hesitate over the call button for a few seconds before pressing down on it and listening to the line ring.

"Hello? Heyward, are you there?"

"Heyward?" I can hear the desperation in Kie's voice.

"Goddammit, Heyward, pick up."

The line rings three times and I start to get really worried. If he doesn't answer, there's nothing else we can do. The four of us exchange scared looks, while the line rings a fourth time. The next second seems longer than any other seconds, all of us holding our breaths, waiting for Heyward's voice to come out of the speakers.