School Sucks

It's lunch time now and me and Eleven are heading to the lunchroom together. She's going on about some girl in her class who was annoying. I nod along and pretend to listen, when really i'm in another world. We make our way to the cafeteria where the boys are already sitting devouring some pizza. We take a seat and Eleven pulls out her lunch bag that Joyce carefully packed.

"Aren't you going to go get some lunch?" Lucas eyes me suspiciously.

"Not really hungry, I had a big breakfast."

El shoots me a look but doesn't say anything.

I throw my headphones over my ears and lay my head down while El tells the boys about the girl.

What feels like an eternity later, the bell rings. I jump up startled and rush to my next class which is History with Lucas. God, could this day get any worse?!

I walk into the class and I must be the last one because there is only one chair left, in the very front. Lucas is right next to it. I consider turning around and walking right out the door but then the teacher tells me to find a seat. I drag my feet and take the spot next to Lucas. He grins obnoxiously and I ignore him. I open my history notebook and doodle while the history teacher babbles on.

"Maxine, are you even listening to me?" The teacher scowls.

I quickly snap back into reality and straighten in my seat.

"I've said your name about 10 times now, Miss. Mayfield!!"

"Oh my god, I am just so sorry I disrupted your precious classroom time." I say, pouting my lips and throwing my feet on the table. A few giggles emerge from the classroom.

"Maxine Mayfield, get your feet off my table at this instant!"

"Or what?" I ask.

"Max, stop." Lucas whispers, pleading with his eyes.

"Or what Lucas?! What in God's name are you gonna do? Fuck you all." I yell, losing my cool.

"Principals office now! And detention for you, young lady!" The teacher screams, practically shaking the building.

I grin as I grab my bag and walk to the door. As i'm leaving, I throw up my middle finger and storm out.

I make my way to the front office and stand impatiently as the front desk lady makes a call. When she finally hangs up, she tells me to go ahead. I walk in and sit in the over-sized chair as the principal studies me.

"Maxine Mayfield." He begins. "What brings a smart kid like you here?"

I roll my eyes and respond, "It's Max, not Maxine. And it's your stupid teacher that sent me here, ask her."

He folds his hands in front of him and doesn't say anything. After 5 minutes of this dumb game, I crack. "So are you going to suspend me or something now? Can we hurry it up? I don't have all day."

"I'm going to let you off with a warning since you are one of my brightest students. But I do want you to see Ms. Kelly before you head back to class." He answers, getting up to open the door.

I grab my stuff and follow him in the hall. I wait for him to return to his office, once he closes his door I make my way to the entrance of the school and leave. Nobody bats an eye.