Eighty Two: Strings

Alger motioned for the surrounding earthbenders to step back as Elio and Azula came out of the cave. Elio brought his hand up to shield his eyes from the light. Azula did the same, covering her eyes with her hand and turning her face away.

Cindra and Sri stood behind Alger, and all three of them were shocked to see that Elio was leading Azula by the hand.

"What's the deal here?" Sri asked him as they approached.

"The princess will be coming back with us voluntarily. We need to get the ship ready to leave immediately, right?" Elio asked.

"That's right," Alger confirmed with a nod. "I'm glad you're alright. Both of you look no worse for wear." He observed, glancing at Azula with an odd expression.

"Despite all efforts, I'm doing just fine. I'm assuming the water tribe girl here healed where I burned you?" Azula presumed, pointing to Cindra while speaking to Alger.

"I did. So what made you change your mind all of a sudden, princess?" She inquired, staring Azula down.

Azula didn't respond. Instead, she scoffed and gave Cindra a sideways smile. That's when Cindra noticed that she was still holding hands with Elio. Her eyes widened a little. What was she implying?

"Let's get going before we get into any more trouble out here." Elio said.

"Agreed." Alger nodded.

Cindra and Alger turned away and started to walk back first. Elio followed behind them and pulled Azula along. However, she only took one step before pulling away, slipping her hand out of his.

"Don't-"

Elio was only able to get out the one word before she let go and quickly backed away from him. She started to turn around so she could make another escape attempt. However, she didn't get very far before Sri hit her with several chi-blocking strikes right in her side.

Azula growled in pain and swung wildly at her with her other arm, blue flames shooting out of her palm. Sri ducked under the fiery attack and completely immobilized the princess with several more strikes.

"Agh! Not again!" Azula growled in pain as she crashed onto the ground, landing on her sides with her legs folded back behind her. The way she hit the dirt caused her hair to bounce up for a moment before it fell over her mouth.

"What was that?!" Cindra exclaimed as she and Alger turned around.

"She was about to make another break for it. I was just able to get her," Sri explained. "Sorry, Elio." She said to him.

"Y-Yeah...no, good job..." Elio spoke absently. His eyes were wide in surprise. He just stood there staring at Azula on the floor.

"Elio...Elio?" Cindra called to him with no response.

"We need to go." Alger reminded him. He took a step towards Azula. That's when Elio snapped out of his daze. He held his hand out and stopped him.

"I got her," He said. He walked up to Azula and knelt down beside her. He put a hand on her shoulder and turned her onto her back so he could see her. He moved the hair out of her face. His eyebrows furrowed with disappointment.

"Why did you do that?" He asked her quietly.

Azula didn't answer. She just scowled and looked away from him.

Elio shook his head and scooped his arms underneath her. He carefully lifted her, tucking her body to his chest and standing up. Alger walked up next to him.

"It's a long way back to the ship. You sure you wanna do that?" He asked.

"I got it. Just tuck her arms in so they're not dangling like that." Elio instructed. Alger did as he asked, taking Azula's arms and laying them on top of her so that they wouldn't hang limply from her shoulders.