Chapter 4 - Meeting Again

-Jacqueline's P.O.V-

The next morning started off on a much better note. Well, aside from this peculiar throbbing sensation in the back of my head. It wasn't painful, just irritating, and it had recently begun to happen on an increasingly regular basis. I'd first noticed it significantly as a child, but despite my parents' persistence doctors couldn't find any sort of problem or any way to treat it and I'd just settled with the fact that it was just something I would have to deal with; in fact, I could usually just tune it out completely. That morning however was one of those rare days when it seemed much more pressing. It was an unusual sensation, like something in my mind was trying to push its way out. As I usually did on those days, I took some pain meds and shrugged it off.

It was Monday, which meant I was supposed to work the morning shift at the cafe a few blocks down from my apartment. It was the crappy paying job that I had taken mostly to keep myself occupied when I wasn't doing what I considered my real job, my purpose. After a quick shower, I put on my black pants and white button up, and began to fishtail braid my hair after putting on some light makeup. I couldn't help but think back to my mother while staring into the mirror, finishing off the braid; I looked like her, same eyes, nose, and the same long brown hair. I'd always obsessed over her hair as a kid, hoping that one day mine would be just as beautiful.

Now it was, and she wasn't there to see it and say "I told you so", like I knew she would've.

I forced myself to shake off the thought, it wasn't the time to find another one of those bastards. I was taking what I guess you could say was a break, living life as normally as possible for a longer period than usual. They could wait, and besides waiting for a while gave some time for suspicions to settle down, if there were any. I'd had a knack for going about undetected most of the time.

It was a bit chilly that morning, so I put on a light jacket and slid my favorite grey beanie over my head after slipping on my shoes, ready for the walk to work. It was still rather early, but of course the streets of Manhattan were already beginning to become busy. I kept my head mostly facing down at my feet, but out of habit checking every possible inch of my surrounding out of the corners of my eyes every few steps.

As I'd waited to cross the street about three blocks down from my apartment, I saw a glimpse of a face that looked slightly familiar on the opposite side of the street where I was about to cross over. Of course, by the time I'd reached where I had seen the figure, it had already been swallowed up in a crowd of people. I'd decided to keep my guard up from then on as I walked the rest of the way to the little cafe at the end of the block.

"You're late again, Adams."

I sighed quietly. Wonderful. I loved hearing such kind, endearing greetings. I didn't show any sign of frustration as I entered the small building, though; considering I'd been gone for two weeks and all my boss had to say to me was a remark about my punctuality, I really had no reason to complain. He could really be an asshole, but I suppose I'd been lucky to get a job for the one boss in the world who didn't bother to fire me for my lack of showing up more than a month at a time.

"Sorry sir, wasn't feeling well, I slept in," I said, somewhat pointlessly because I knew he wasn't even listening. He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, but quickly forgot about me as he finished checking over the condition of his business before any customers showed up, then disappeared after the first couple walked in. I'd hung up my jacket by the door and was putting on my apron and name tag when another voice chimed in.

"You'd probably find yourself feeling a lot better if you laid off the bottle a bit."

A fist lightly collided with my arm and I rolled my eyes. "Shut up, Mariah."

Mariah chuckled as she poured some water into a coffee pot. "Hey, just trying to help you out there, Jac."

"I thought I told you not to call me that."

"Oh come on, it's cute."

Mariah was the closest thing to a real friend that I'd had. We'd met at the same bar where I sang sometimes, and when I'd told her I needed a more solid job she'd been a big help getting me a place at the cafe. We weren't those girls that talked and hung out all the time, but we went out to the bars occasionally and spent our lunch breaks together. When I was away for random periods of time like I said before, she didn't question or pester me about it, and I appreciated that. We didn't pry into each other business, and it just worked out. I liked her a lot.

"Whatever," I replied, "What's my task this morning?"

Mariah nodded over to the counter. "I've got everything covered for now, but I've got to check some things in the back so just mind the counter."

I nodded and walked over to the register, checking that everything was in order. I heard the door open, but didn't bother looking up until the person approached the counter and spoke.

"Hi, I'd like a--"

My head shot up like a bullet. That voice. Those deep blue eyes were staring into mine once again, and then their owner smiled, seeming almost pleasantly surprised.

"Oh, Jacqueline, hi."

I said nothing, just stared at him. After a few seconds I responded, dumbfounded. "Clint?"

A sly grin spread across his face. "For a second I thought you didn't remember me."

This was weird. "What, you having fun following me around or something?"

Clint chucked and handed me some cash. "What, a guy can't go out and grab some breakfast in the morning?"

I gave him a skeptical look and took the money, I was about to ask what he wanted when Mariah piped in. I jumped a little, I hadn't even realized she'd been standing behind me.

"Oh, hey again. Same as yesterday?"

Clint nodded. "Thanks."

I scanned him over as he walked to the end of the counter and Mariah grabbed his order. This time he had on a gray v-neck that showed off his rather toned arms, with black jeans and Converse. His blond hair was spiked up a little in the front. I wouldn't lie, he wasn't the kind of guy you could easily pull your eyes away from. But I didn't trust him.

Mariah handed him a coffee and a small bag and after thanking her made his way toward the door. I looked down & realized I'd forgotten to give him his change.

"Shit, I'll be back," I said, and luckily I caught up with him on the sidewalk right before he'd passed the window. He gave me a quizzical look and I explained, "You, uh, forgot your change."

Clint looked down at the coins and waved a hand. "You keep it, but since you're here I'll ask: how about lunch?"

"...Huh?"

"Well, I assume you're feeling better now."

Oh, right. I'd forgotten that I'd promised to meet up with him. I was definitely apprehensive, but talking with him would give me the chance to figure out what he was up to, if anything. "Oh, yeah, I am. You mean this afternoon?"

"Whatever works for you. The diner across the street, is it any good?"

Again, coincidences. "Yeah, that's where I ususally have lunch, actually. That'd be good."

He nodded and smiled again, wider than before. Dammit, I wish he'd stop doing that.

"Perfect. See you there."