Chapter 17 - Game Over

-Clint's P.O.V-

I was, as promised, parked on a side street a few blocks down from Stark Tower, leaning against my car, arms crossed in waiting. My mind was in overdrive after what had just happened before I'd left Jacqueline's apartment, so I'd decided to get some fresh air while I still could, now changed into black pants, boots, and a jacket with the S.H.I.E.L.D. insignia patched on both sides of the shoulders.

I straightened as the black Mercedes I'd been waiting on pulled up next to my own car, Agent Coulson rolling down the window as he came to a stop. I stepped over and noticed that in the passenger's seat sat Pepper Potts, who not too long before that night had become the CEO of Stark Industries.

"I'll be dropping off Ms. Potts at LaGuardia on our way," Coulson explained, and I gave a polite nod to the red-haired woman, which she replied to with a small, slightly anxious smile. She knew about what was going on, of course.

"Stark's on board, then?" I asked.

"Whether he wants to be or not, yes." Coulson replied. "Everything's in order to head out?"

I nodded, knowing he was referring to Jacqueline. "She'll be leaving a few hours behind us, we've got plenty of time." I glanced down at the time on my phone, just realizing how late it really was.

"We're ready if you are."

Not long after, the drive began. DC wasn't but maybe a couple hours out, but there would be things we would have to secure and make sure of before Jacqueline ever got there. We couldn't let even the smallest detail go wrong, it wouldn't take much for Jacqueline to figure anything out. Getting to know her had definitely had its advantages, knowing what sorts of things could set her off and what she'd didn't particularly notice. Still, there was no certainty as to how this would all go.

A pattern of beeps pulled me out of my thoughts after a while, and I glanced down to find my phone, putting it on speaker while I drove.

"How about that, he knows how to use a phone after all," was the response after I'd answered, and I couldn't help but chuckle at the other voice on the line.

"Nat, it's been a while. How'd things go with Banner?" I asked. Natasha sighed as she replied.

"A bit...stressful, but he's in. I've been told about your little escapade in New York, guess it sucks that you had to end it early, huh?"

I could practically hear the smirk on her face, but there was a tinge of something almost like bitterness behind it. I didn't bother to comment on it, though. "Er, I wouldn't use the term 'escapade'..."

"Whatever. Can you believe this whole thing? They pulled me out of an interrogation for this."

"Hm, I would've hated to have been in the aftermath of that," I joked. Now it was Nat's turn to laugh.

"Anyway," she replied, "I'm supposed to be telling you that Scagilla is on her way to meet up with you guys, she's gonna help bring in Adams."

"Ah, I bet Evangeline's missed me." I could hear Natasha's scoff before I added, "What about you, then?"

"Yeah, right. I'm heading back to base I guess, hopefully kicking this Loki guy's ass once we track him down."

"Wouldn't doubt for for a minute, Nat. Be careful, alright?"

I ended the call with Natasha, and not long after my phone buzzed again, but this time for a text message. I hadn't paid attention to the number, but as soon as I'd opened it I'd known who it was; who else would it have been?

Thank you.

Jacqueline. I let out a heavy sigh, turning off as I left Manhattan and looking down again to type in a quick response. And there I went, talking to myself again.