Chapter Two: Say 𝗛𝗘𝗟𝗟𝗢...

An exhausting day usually leads to a good night's sleep, but unfortunately, life never seems to be going (Y/n)'s way. At least, up until now. The interview with Jamie might've only been yesterday, but he was already hoping to start training the very next day. What should've been a nice, sunny Saturday was now gonna be one filled with boring lectures.

Even so, it was something to make (Y/n)'s dad proud of. He was always worried about their inability to hold a job, but they wanted to prove him wrong. They just had to. That was enough to give them the motivation they needed for the day. They shot up out of bed and began with their morning routine. They pulled out a small shoulder bag to house some snacks as well as a portable charger for their phone. Soon enough, it was time to march out the door and into their new job. That is until they were stopped once more.

This time, though, ᴵt was a face they wanted to see. "Howdy, skip! It's a sight for sore eyes to see you down here so early in the morning." He smiled. He always had a way with funny nicknames, but skip was the main one he used ever since (Y/n) was in diapers. "Yeah. I have my first day at work so I should start heading out." They said, rubbing the back of their head. Their dad seemed a little sad from this, but his hopes were still afloat. "First day? That's amazing! Keep it up, (Y/n)." He said, waving goodbye before returning to his morning coffee.

They were finally given the real address to their job site, or at least what Jamie said was the job site. an office space nestled inside a tall building off the main road of the bustling city. (Y/n) was never keen on the idea of having a job this deep into the city, but they had to at least give all of this a chance. There was a constant influx of people walking inside, signaling that this was when most businesses were starting the work day. With a deep breath in and out, they began to make their way inside.

Compared to all the other people flocking the halls of the office building, (Y/n) was severely underdressed. ˢuits and formal attire with practically no blemishes were around every corner. They did their best to try and avoid eye contact with anyone who crossed paths, but one particular person made that impossible to achieve. Jamie was standing right by one of the large elevators, scanning the crowd in hopes to find the new hire.

His gaze locked onto them and he began waving his hand, beckoning for them to follow him. They soon found themself face to face with the man himself. He attempted to say something to them, but it was so loud that they couldn't hear each other even at such a close distance. Jamie groaned, gently grasping their hand and leading them towards the stairwell. Once inside, his grip released, and what once was ear piercing noise turned into a deafening silence.

It was obvious no one really used the stairs in this office building. They'd rather stand around the elevators, threatening their clock-in time. "So, just how far up are we going?" (Y/n) asked. "Oh, it's only a couple of floors up. We lucked out in being near the bottom so we don't have to wait around." He replied. Such urgency for what was possibly ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷l̷e̷a̷s̷t̷ ̷i̷m̷p̷o̷r̷t̷a̷n̷t̷ ̷j̷o̷b̷ in the whole office building.

Within a fᵉw minutes, the two had made it to the third floor. (Y/n)'s thighs felt like they were on fire, but of course, the steps were nothing for Jamie. He continued to lead the way through a long, empty hallway. This place felt very eerie. The walls were pure white with all the doors following suit. This is the type of thing to make a person go absolutely mad. With a few more steps ahead, Jamie stopped in his tracks at the only door smothered in a sloppy, colorful paint job.

He bent down to unlock the door before leading them inside. This place was straight out of a horror film. Minimal lighting, no windows, noise-suppressing wall pads, and a singular desk with a laptop fixed to it. "This is the office space? Are you kidding me?" They asked, nerves on end for what Jamie had planned for them. "It's more of a training space rather than an office space. Our location is top secret, so it's only natural to train you in a different location before disclosing our whereabouts." He said with a smile. They didn't know if this guy was just crazy or stupid, but they were too scared to find out.

"I don't think this is for me... I should go-" "Please stay!" Jamie interrupted. "Please... We've been struggling to fill this position. We're in dire need of someone like you. Just give today a chance. Please, (Y/n)?" This man was practically on his knees begging at this point. Pitiful, but what was more insane was the fact that they were giving in to it. "Fine. You have today to change my mind." They stated. Jamie's eyes lit up. "Oh thank you! C'mon, let's get started!"

He flung himself towards the laptop, pulling out an extra seat for them to sit and learn. "So here's the basics of what you'll be doing. This email is where we'll be sending all of the pieces we are looking to be restored, and this is your software to do the restoring. They're all fairly user-friendly, so I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time." He said. It felt like so much to take in, but as stated before, this was only half of the job.

"So, what about the webpage managᵉment? That's probably the most of my worries." They asked. "Oh, here's our restoration page! After you're done restoring works, just submit them here for our admins to look over and approve." This all seemed easy enough. So hard to get an applicant but all it was is this? Guess it was the training conditions that would send most people off. If it weren't for Jamie's pleas, (Y/n) would've been gone the very moment they stepped foot into the space.

"Oh! I almost forgot. This right here is the company chat. If ʸou ever need anything, just send a message through." (Y/n) nodded and began to examine the screen a little closer. Everything was organized fairly well. ‎‎The laptop looked in pristine condition, aside from it practically being glued to the table. Why hold it down like that if Jamie is gonna be watching me the whole time?

'Jamie... Where did he go!?'

(Y/n) whipped around, only to catch a small glimpse of Jamie's eye as he proceeded to lock the door from the ᵒutside. They immediately launched up from their chair, pounding on the door, hoping that someone would come for help. "My phone... That's it!" They thought, running and reaching into their bag riddled with snacks... a portable charger... and... "My phone!" They silently cheered, but soon to no avail. There was not a bar of signal in sight, and they knew they had no way of connecting to any WI-FI networks.

"Fuck!" They cried, slamming their hand onto the table. All of this was going to be for nothing. The hopes and dreams their father had for them were soon going to be nothing but hazing clouds scattered in memory. Tears started falling down their cheeks, landing on the wooden plane. This wasn't it. This couldn't be it for them. They continᵘed to rush the door, slamming their upper arm into the middle section of it. And again. And again. And again. They refused to quit. Seconds turned into minutes, and minutes turned into hours. Beaten to exhaustion, they couldn't do anything else but drift off, leaned up against the sealed exit.

*Ding*

-One New Message-