Chapter Six: Awakening

A/N: I made a small drawing for this fanfic (Shown above). This was before I created his CaptiveAU design, but I still wanted to let you all see it!

(Y/n)'s eyes slowly fluttered open, desperately trying to regain consciousness. When their eyes fully adjusted, they noticed a few differences in the space around them. For starters, the once shattered camera lens was now fully restored. An assortment of snacks was laid out on a small cart, though they all seemed to be apple themed in one way or another.

One question loomed over them, more than anything laid out for their attention to divert to. Was Jamie okay? It felt too optimistic to give a simple yes. I mean, his body flopped onto the ground in front of them. Even so, was it right to pronounce him dead?

(Y/n) might've hated his guts, and could you really blame them? This whole job was a setup, a ruse to trap one last person in an endless cycle of imprisonment. (Y/n) was no different than any of the other employees rotting away to this god-forsaken 'Wally'.

But, was this really true? They sure hoped it was, but that was wishful thinking. Even if Wally learned of the true intentions of taking (Y/n) into the company, that didn't make them any less important to him. If it did, they wouldn't still be in this room.

Their gaze fell onto the laptop. A cold shiver fell down their spine as they examined the once harmless computer. What was meant to be a communication device between them and Wally, spiraled into the cause of Jamie's incident.

They leaned down to access the laptop, but something this time felt different. All of the applications were deleted. It wasn't as if (Y/n) used them, but this added a whole new stressor. Jamie's email account was wiped off of the computer. There was now no way to access information, aside from Wally.

Like clockwork, the infamous chat window sprung open. With nothing else to do, (Y/n) read what Wally had left for them.

Ah. This is so much better. Now there's nothing to distract you from me!

What a chipper tone for someone who might've just committed a murder. They didn't know whether they even wanted to respond to his message, but they felt the need to set something straight with him.

"Wally... What did you do to Jamie?" They asked, their voice shaking with each inflection.

Oh, him? Don't worry about it. It's none of your concern.

"Bullshit! Now tell me, is Jamie okay!?"

Wally paused for a moment before continuing back to his messaging. His typing was slow, but calculated.

He's fine. He'll live.

A wave of relief fell onto (Y/n). It's true, he could be lying his ass off to keep the peace, but as far as they knew, Jamie was going to be okay.

Why do you care so much?

The question made (Y/n) stop for a moment. The answer was fairly obvious, they didn't want anything bad happening to Jamie because of them. So, what was so hard for Wally to understand?

You barely know him. Spoken only a few times and yet you speak with such worry. But when I talk to you, all I get is hatred. How can I be more like Jamie?

They felt their blood begin to boil at Wally's question, one that should've been obvious from the very beginning.

"Jamie didn't-"

Didn't what? Didn't lure you to an odd location? Didn't lock you up in a barren room with nothing but a laptop?

They stopped in their tracks, looking back at everything that was happening. It was true. Jamie knew what he was doing. He knew what came with the position and knowingly brought them there as bait.

Jamie isn't to be trusted. None of those employees are. They can barely even follow the orders given to them.

Wally's messages came to a halt. It went without saying just how much venom poured from each word sent. The room grew cold, a deafening silence reigning over before a voice finally came to ring out from the laptop.

"The only person you should trust is me. I will be the one to give you a happy ending, not them." Wally spoke, his voice rather deadpan. "If you continue to follow the path you're setting, it'll only end badly for you, trust me."

"So what, I'm just supposed to follow your every word like a dog? Fat chance!" They yelled back. They wanted to refute his claims about Jamie, but it was clear that no one there was looking out for them. They were all on their own.

"Something like that. I'm doing what's best for you. For us..."

His words sent a chill down their back. The way he was beginning to speak, it added a more menacing and eerie presence to the entire room. "Us? What part of this is best for me? Being locked up and forced to listen to a delusional puppet?"

"It seems you aren't understanding..." He began speaking, but they were quick to cut him off.

"No, you're not understanding! You're hurting these people! You saw the same email I did... Lauren. What did you do to her? How did you hurt her?"

"She was going against the restoration project. She had to learn, and quickly."

"Just what the hell even is this restoration project!? Why does it matter so damn much to you?"

"That's enough, (Y/n)."

Silence flooded the room. His voice was demanding, but a slight hint of desperation filled his voice. He was upset, but it started to sound like sadness rather than anger. They stayed quiet, staring at the computer screen with their arms crossed. Wally sighed, staying silent for a few more seconds before speaking.

"Forgive me... I didn't mean to raise my voice. I need a moment."

With that, no message box nor voices came out of the laptop. Great... Now they had to figure out how to pass the time. They reached over towards the snack cart, examining the many snacks. Applesauce, apple slices, apple flavored candy. They grabbed a bag of apple slices, even though they didn't care to have anything apple related in that moment. They took a bite, the only sound echoing in the room was the sound of their chewing. This was going to be a long night.

They continued staring at the wall across from them as they sat on the floor, daydreaming in hopes to pass the time. They felt their eyelids begin to grow heavy, feeling their body struggling to stay upright. Just as they were beginning to doze off, a loud ding came ringing from the laptop. They jumped at the sudden noise before lifting themself up, ready to see what Wally had to say now. Something was different, however... This text box looked much different from Wally's. Not only that, their typing style was different too.

Hello? Please tell me you can read this!

Their eyes widen as they quickly reach down to type back, assuming that whoever this was couldn't use the cameras of microphones Wally set up. The cameras... That was going to be a problem. They lowered the laptop's screen, crouching down so only they could see the screen

I can! Who is this?

They wait patiently for their response, growing more and more antsy with each passing moment.

Just... call me J.J.
You're in grave e̷r̶... I'm going to try and help you, but you need to trust me...