Chapter 39

Deja blew her candles out and, grinning from ear to ear, looked up at Grisha. "I told you this was the best birthday ever."

He shook his head, softly squeezing her shoulders. "You still have until midnight."

"It's been so perfect, I don't think anything can top everything we've done today."

How he hoped there was something that would. He'd been meticulously planning the rest of their evening for almost two weeks, toying with ideas, and with the things he wanted to say to her. It was a good thing he'd packed that ring after all. London was their do-over. And if things were going the way he hoped they would, it would be special to them for the rest of their lives.

After they had found their way back to each other, he'd decided that he was going to propose after all. And what better place to have for a proposal than London, the city she was from. Nanna had helped him plan in secret, during moments she was in the shower or on the phone, or during the time she was sleeping. And he hoped that all his planning would pay off.

Alistair was watching him from across the table and leaned over to his wife. "Does something seem off about Grisha to you?" he quietly informed.

Maria sipped her champagne, trying to figure out if she could see something. "I don't know. A bit nervous, maybe, in the beginning of the evening, but I'm sure it has everything to do with him surprising her with all of us." Tilting her head back at her husband, she pulled a shoulder up. "Why do you ask?"

"Just a feeling." Turning to his mother, he tried again. "Mother, do you sense something of about Grisha too?"

Nanna took the offered plate of cake from Daisy and set it on the table before answering. "In what way of, my dear?"

"He seems a bit ill at ease to me," Alistair clarified.

Nanna pierced her fork through the raspberry and white chocolate mousse cake. "Mmm. I'm sure it's just birthday jitters and having the whole family together. It can be a bit overwhelming when you've grown up with only your mother."

"Right." Alistair didn't seem convinced but he didn't press the matter. After all, his mother and wife were better at reading people, so surely he was just seeing things?

An hour and half later, the party was breaking up and they were saying goodbye to everyone. Deja pressed a kiss to her niece's cheek. "Oh, it's been too long. We'll try and visit more often, but you should come by LA, too, sometime."

Daisy hoisted her youngest, sleeping, son up her shoulder and offered a hug. "We should. Maybe when Collin has his Christmas break next time? Or are you going to be off for Christmas?"

"I don't know yet," Dee said. "If you want to come and visit, let us know, and we'll arrange something. It would be bloody brilliant if you could." She affectionately ruffled through little Harry's hair. "See you next time, little one."

Grisha bend over Nanna. "Have you heard from Nigel?"

She nodded. "They'll let you in on the east side. Be careful and good luck."

"Thank you." He squeezed her hand. "You're the best, Nanna."

With that, he waved goodbye and opened the car door for Deja. "Come on birthday girl, it's getting late."

"But we have until midnight."

"I know." He ushered her into the cab. Nanna had lent them her own driver for the evening, giving Christophe a detailed itinerary so Grisha didn't have to tell him anything and clue Dee in.

Dee nestled into his side as the car pulled away from the curb. She let out a sigh, completely satisfied with how her first birthday in England in years, had planned out. "How did you get reservations? The place is booked months in advance."