Part Six

With all the commotion about prom and it being the only thing that we girls talk about, I totally forget that our biology paper is due in two days and that Tyler and I still have to add some finishing touches. 

            But before that, let me tell you about how I just found what could possibly be the cutest note form my secret admirer. Now, at home, I've saved all the letters he's sent me in an old shoebox. From the long ones that last three to five pages to the short ones that are only two lines long. 

            But the note I found on Monday morning takes the prize. 

            Roses are red, violets are blue,

            I think it's time I show myself to you, 

            I have request, and I hope you'll agree,

            Will you please go to prom with me?

            I think the scream that came out of my mouth and how I ran around school looking for Ella to tell her the good news was a good enough answer. Suffice to say, I've been in a pretty good mood since then. 

            Anyway, so Tyler and I are once again sitting in the Perry's living room finishing off our paper but this time I don't want to murder him. 

            “Are you going to prom?” I suddenly blurt out. 

            He looks at me strangely before shrugging. “I guess. All of my friends are so I'll probably be there.” 

            “Are you taking anyone?” I don't know why, but the thought of him with another girl annoys me to no end. 

            “Probably not.”

            “Why?” Okay, where can you get a brain-to-mouth filter when you need one?

            “There's no one I want to take. Are you going with anyone?”

            I shake my head. “No, but I'm meeting someone there.”

            He looks interested when I say this. “Who is it?”

            “I'm not sure, it's sort of a blind date.”

            He nods his head. “So I guess I'll see you there, huh?”

            “I guess so.”

            We go quiet and it’s sort of an awkward silence. We keep on working and once we're done, Tyler takes my laptop upstairs to the study to print it out. 

            His keys have fallen out of his pocket and are lying on the couch next to me. I pick them up so they won't get lost and notice the key ring he has attached to it. 

            I'm rendered speechless as I recognize what it is. It's a friendship bracelet I made for him when we were in sixth grade. He made me one too but I put it into his locker after he publicly made fun of me in middle school. 

            I can't believe he still has it and that he's using it as a key ring. He comes back in and places my now closed laptop on the coffee table. 

            “Are you hungry?” He asks. 

            “You still have this?” I ask quietly as I hold it up. 

            He looks surprised for a few seconds but his expression turns into a somewhat embarrassed one. “Um… yes?” 

            “Wow,” I say breathlessly. “Why'd you keep it?”

            “I don't know,” he admits. “I guess it was the only thing I had to remind me of our friendship.”

            “Tyler, why did you do it?” I ask him. It the first time I've asked him this question and I know he knows what I'm referring to. He opens his mouth to answer but nothing comes out. Before I can ask him again, his mother comes in to the room. 

            “Do you kids want Chinese or pizza?” She asks. 

            He looks at me apologetically, but it's not enough. I stand up and smooth out my clothes. “I'm sorry, Mrs. Perry, but I have to go, my grandmother is expecting me,” I tell her before grabbing my stuff and putting it into my bag. 

            “Say hi to your grandmother for me, Hon,” she calls out as I let myself out. I'm not about to let Tyler put me out of the bad mood I've been in for the past couple of days. 

            Once I'm back in the confines of my room, I receive a text. It's from Tyler. My finger hovers over the messages icon as I debate on whether I should open it or not. 

            My curiosity wins over even though I should be somewhat mad at him. Ignoring the voice in my head telling me not to open it, I do and read the two words he's sent me. 

            I'm sorry.

            I toss my phone to the side. A great lot that's going to do for me. 

            My phone starts ringing and I answer thinking its Tyler. 

            “What do you want, Tyler?” I snap. 

            “I'm sorry, is this a bad time?” A voice I haven't been expecting says. 

            “Will? Is that you?”

            “Yeah, um… I can call later, it's no problem.”

            “What, no it's fine, really. What's up?”

            “Well, I kind of need your help.”

            “I'll see what I can do, I guess.”

            “You how your prom is in a week and how I told Ella I wasn't going to be able to make it?”

            “Yeah?” I'm not entirely sure where he's going with this. 

            “I lied. I'm flying over then but you have to promise not to tell Ella, I want to surprise her.”

            “Naww, aren't you the sweetest?” Ella was devastated when he told her he wasn't coming, like close to tears devastated. 

            I can almost see him roll his eyes. “Promise me you won't tell her, okay Olivia?”

            “Fine,” I say. “But that doesn't explain why you're calling.”

            “About that, you know how girls like to get ready for these things together? I was hoping if you could go to her place and do that and be ready by eight.”

            I smile at his cuteness. Where do I find a guy like him? “Of course.”

            “Thanks, Olivia, you're the best.” And with that he hangs up. I don't know how I'll be able to keep a secret like this from Ella, but I'll have to try my best.