Chapter 4: Taalia

"Taalia." My father spoke in a terrifyingly calm tone that sent a shiver down my spine. "You've disappointed me."

"Yet again", I added in my mind, but out loud I only said, "I know, Father."

"You continue to disobey me. I raised you to be a leader, but I may have to rethink your position in this kingdom."

"Father!" I didn't want any more trouble, but I couldn't let him demote me.

"I'm sorry, my dear, but Isdalon can't have a queen who doesn't respect her position."

"I do!"

"Clearly not if you'd rather spend your time out on the streets." He stood up quickly and slammed his hands on the table. "This behavior is unacceptable! You are confined to the walls of this castle until further notice, and I will assign a guard to follow you and make sure you're following my orders!"

My father stormed out of the room and slammed the door before he could see the tear that had escaped from my eye. I took a moment to make sure that any further signs of weakness would not show; then, I pulled open the heavy wooden door and left my father's words behind.

- - -

I thrust my sword in front of me, slicing the dummy that I was practicing on. Its head rolled towards me, and I scooped it up, reattaching it to the body. I got back into position, preparing to strike, when I sensed movement behind me. I whirled around and nearly stabbed Gabriel, who pushed my sword away as if he was merely swatting a fly.

"Careful, Princess," he chuckled.

"What do you want?" I was tired of his teasing.

"Your father has requested a meeting with you."

I hadn't been avoiding him exactly, but I hadn't seen my father since our conversation two days ago. I'd been eating my meals in my bedroom, and I used the servants' passages to get around the castle.

"Tell him that I'm busy. I'll come find him later." I had no intentions of seeking him out, but I would say practically anything to get Gabriel to leave me alone.

"No can do, Princess. His highness ordered me to bring you to see him immediately, and unlike you, I don't like to disobey the king."

He pried my sword out of my grasp and went into the armory to put it away. I shoved my practice dummy to the side of the room, and followed Gabriel. I noticed that my bodyguard kept more distance than usual. He knew just as well as I did that I would be unable to escape now that I was being escorted to my father.

I fell into step beside Gabriel, taking larger steps to match his. We marched through the long corridors in silence. I studied his expression, trying to find anything that would reveal the reason that he'd been set to fetch me. He looked serious, but that was not unusual for the cold and calculating boy that I had gotten to know over the past few months.

Gabriel and his mother, Lady Megretta, had moved into my residence as part of an agreement that my father made. Lady Megretta was from the House of Broncourt, a prominent elite family who had an immense influence in our kingdom. Everyone kept up with their affairs and tried to be just like them. My father arranged to marry Megretta in exchange for an alliance with her family. The Broncourts gave my father a year to marry their daughter, and the deadline was now just over four months away. Preparations were already being made for the ceremony that was to take place in six weeks time.

I didn't particularly like Lady Megretta or my father's reasoning behind the marriage, but I understood that it was necessary. As a leader, one has to make sacrifices for their people.

Speaking of sacrifices, I was certain that my father was about to demand that I sacrifice every ounce of freedom that I had left after my little expedition. I wasn't prepared for that, but I would have to be.

Gabriel and I came to a halt outside my father's study. He knocked on the door and waited for a response. When my father called us in, my guard opened the door for me. He did a quick survey of the room before I stepped inside. I expected Gabriel to leave now that his job was done, but he took a seat in one of the two plush chairs in front of the desk that my father sat behind. My father gestured to the other chair, asking me to sit, but I crossed my arms and stayed where I was.

'Taalia, please don't be difficult. I have something important to tell you."

"I'm sure," I grumbled under my breath.

"Taalia, Lady Megretta and I have decided to get married next week."

"What?" I tried to hide my disapproval, but my voice quivered.

'I'm sorry, honey, but we have to. With all that is happening in Edrealon, we need to give our people something to be hopeful about, and I could use the support of the Broncourts. Meg and I decided that it would be best to have the wedding as soon as possible."

"So that's it? You're getting married?"

"Yes, but there's one more thing I need to tell you about. After I'm married, Gabriel will officially be my son."

"Okay, and?" I was beginning to get nervous. I couldn't tell where this conversation was going.

"He's older than you, and he's a man, so I'm going to name him as my heir after the ceremony."

"What?" I slammed my hands on my father's desk, and my whole body shook. "I've been training for this my whole life! You can't just take it away!" Tears threatened to spill from my eyes. I was prepared to rule, I had to be.

"Taalia, calm down. I chose Gabriel because I think he'd be a better fit for the role. The rules don't say anything about the heir's blood, only that they must be the oldest child of the current ruler, unless there is a younger male child who is more suited for the job. You are neither of those, and you haven't shown that you are responsible enough to run a whole kingdom."

"That's not fair! I can be responsible!"

"Life's not fair, my dear. I've made my decision, and I would like for you to honor it."

"Absolutely not!' I turned to Gabriel who was still sitting there, stoic like a statue. "Did you know about this?"

"Yes, My Lady."

"And you said nothing? You just sat there as my future was ripped away?"

Suddenly it became clear why he had insisted on accompanying me to this meeting. He must have taken pleasure in ruining my life.

"Taalia," my father spoke quietly, and I ignored him. I continued to yell at Gabriel. He sat still, refusing to fight back. I hated him.

"Taalia!" My father yelled at me, and sensing the severity of his tone, I paused my barrage on Gabriel. I followed his gaze to the door of the study. In the open doorway, stood a guard who was looking very nervous.

"Sorry to interrupt, Sir, but this is an urgent message from the king of Edrealon."

He held a letter in his hand. The envelope was lopsided as if it had been thrown together in a hurry. The soldier brought the letter to my father, who opened it quickly and began to read. He drew in a breath, and his face became stormy.
 "Taalia, Gabriel, please see yourselves out." His tone was incredibly serious. He gestured for my guard to come over to him, and they exchanged a quiet conversation while I waited at the door. When they finished, my guard pushed me outside, and shut the door tightly.

"What was that about?" I demanded.

"None of your concern, Your Highness."

I turned to Gabriel to see if he had any ideas, but he just shook his head and walked off.

"His Majesty has instructed me to get you back to your room immediately." I noticed that he was gripping his sword tighter than usual, so I decided not to protest.

I wondered what could have possibly happened, and I hoped that my father would fill me in as soon as he could, but after our meeting, I wasn't sure if I would ever allow him to talk to me again. I certainly wouldn't be meeting with him again anytime soon.