xvii

₊˚ ִֶָ ʚ THE WATERBENDING MASTER ! ˖̥ ₉

SOKKA LEANS back on Appa's saddle, crossing his arms annoyedly.

"I'm not one to complain, but can't Appa fly any higher?" He asks, pointing to the inch of space between Appa and the water.

"Why don't we all get on your back?" Aang retorts frustratedly.

"Look, we're just tired and cranky because we've been flying for two days straight." Katara tries to ease the tension between the two boys.

"Speaking of tired, what is up with you two?!" Sokka exclaims, looking between Katara and Lian who's resting her head on the younger girl's lap.

"Nothing! Lian's just tired." Katara explains quickly, gently nudging Lian to get her head off.

"We're all tired! Really, you two are acting weird."

"I'm not tired, I had a great nap actually." Lian responds, lifting her head from Katara's lap. Sokka rolls his eyes before flopping down. They fly in silence until a shard of ice lifting from the water startles Appa. Multiple waves of water come crashing down, and eventually freeze Appa into the water before water tribe boats surround him.

"The Northern Water tribe!" Katara exclaims, tugging Lian's arm.

"We're finally here." Sokka adds in awe. The waterbenders lower the wall of ice, allowing Appa to float into their intricate nation. It was a huge difference from the Southern Water tribe. It was much more advanced, and used water as roads between blocks of ice as land.

"It's beautiful." Lian comments quietly, looking at the numerous waterbenders.

"Yea.. She is.." Sokka adds, staring at a white-haired girl who rode by. Lian turns to look at the boy who's staring dreamily at the girl.

At night, Chief Arnook holds a dinner welcoming the gang and celebrating his daughter's birthday. The waterbenders were wary of Lian, especially due to her appearance as a fire nation member, however dropped their concerns when she demonstrated her waterbending.