cell block tango

🌑

Clearing her throat, Juniper clicked the record button on the her camcorder that she had set up against the one blank wall of her bedroom.

Finally bucking up, she had looked over the audition requirements and the email to send your audition tape. Through the next three days, she watched clips of her favorite character, Prudence Blackwood in Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and wrote down some of her favorite lines and ones that would show her range so she could practice them and then act them out for her audition tape.

She also listened to Cell Block Tango a few times to get in the right mindset.

Juniper took a breath before looking into the camera and smiling, promising herself to cut that out later before sending it off.

"Hello, my name is Juniper Mave, I'm 19 and I'm auditioning for any role. I didn't know if there was something specific you wanted me to audition with, so I complied a list of lines from Tati Gabrielle's character, Prudence Blackwood in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

She waited a few moments before starting.
Juniper started with some like, 'You except me to take advice from an ex communicate?', 'Oh, you had me at boys to torment.', 'By "kicked out", he means stole, and by "took over", he means stole.', and 'Must be some Spellman kink, hmm? Slumming it with mortals? Like father, like daughter, huh?', 'Your mortal sides showing, and heartbreak's not a good look in witches.'

Before going to some more emotional ones like, 'He's taken care of me..., raised me,... treated me as a daughter.', 'How sad for you. Not to have faith in anything.', 'He had it coming! How could you tell me that I was wrong?!', and also just straight up screaming with tears.

It was a good thing that her parents were out and her sister was at daycare.

At about 32 minutes long, she stopped the recording and decided that was enough. It took her about 10 minutes to cut out all of the extra bits of her messing up and of her touching the camera, and that one part where she swung her arm too much and knocked the camera over.

Sitting on her bed, computer in her lap, Juniper stared at the screen for about 5 minutes, starting to bite her nails halfway through before clicking the button so she couldn't change her mind.

It's gone now. No turning back.

***

It was another week and a half before she heard anything back and she did everything to distract herself. Gardening, taking Gaia to the park, cooking dinner for her family, writing a story that when she finished it, she realized it was basically YOU but with lesbians. Anything to keep herself from constantly checking her email.

Juniper couldn't understand why this was so important to her. Yes, she had finally found something to move on to but she could have done it with anything. Her sister had just happened to want to watch Avatar that day. But now, it felt like this was it. This was it.

Finally, sitting in her bedroom, reading on her phone while her computer was playing Chicago when she got a notification that she had a few new emails. Scrolling through, YouTube, Vogue, yada yada yada, and then a woman named Margery Simkin. Juniper's eyebrows pulled together as she didn't know her name.

Clicking on it, it said:

'Dear Ms. Mave,

We here at the production of Avatar 3: The Quest for Eywa really enjoyed your audition tape and would like you come to the studio for a second audition in person. Please respond to confirm you would like to continue the audition process and I will send you the details of when and where.

Best regards,
Margery Simkin; Casting Director'

A loud screech was muffled by Juniper's hand that thankfully came up just in time so she didn't make anyone else in the house panic. Her bent knees kicked out like a little girl as she squealed happily, laughing and giggling as quietly as she could.

She did it! She did it, she did it, she did it-

Juniper silenced her excitement when her bedroom door opened and her mother popped her head in.

"Hi, honey. Everything alright in here?" She asked, looking around a bit and Juniper couldn't help but feel a little judged for the small pile of dirty dishes that sat on her nightstand.

"Yeah. Everything's cool."

"Okay, good. I thought I heard some...screeching?" It was clear her mom didn't know how to describe the noise she made.

"Yeah, no, it's just that...I say that Rhianna just had her second baby. I was just...celebrating."

"Oh. Good for her. She's been having some cute babies." She goes to close the door before opening it again and saying, "Do you need anything, snacks?"

"No, I'm good. Um, actually, can you ask Gaia to come here?"

"Yeah, yeah, sure."

The door closes and Juniper released a breath. It was barely a minute before the door opens again and Gaia barrels into her room.

"Hi, Juni!"

Immediately scooping her up, she hugged her tightly. The little girl squealed at the sudden attention.

"Oh, you beautiful, beautiful, blue cat obsessed girl." Juniper whispered to her, since she wanted to watch Avatar in the first place.

She pulled back and looked at her baby sister with a little smile. "You want to go on a field trip soon?"

☀️