2- Work is Work

Vivian's POV.

What was taking so long? Jerry has probably been around half an hour inside the shop selling whatever the hell the Cuthberts found value in. And I remained outside, back against the wall of the shop. Watching the strolling pedestrians in their fancy dresses and their fancy hats with their fancy husbands. Oh what I could do with money like that. I could feed my whole family. I wouldn't have to work for anyone.

But hey, would I really want to be one of these snobs? Look at the way they look at me. The way they whisper about me. They see me, my pants, my dirty clothes, my empty pockets and all I am is a low-life to them.

"Aye, lad!" A man called from a passing carriage that came to a halt. I didn't see any lads around but since his eyes were on me, I assumed that's who he was referring to. I really couldn't blame him. There was nothing really feminine about me at that moment. My hair hid beneath my newsboy cap and my curved features were hidden beneath my white linen shirt, brown trousers and black suspenders. Nothing called out the feminine part of me. "Oy, lad! Come here!"

I looked around one last time, making sure he was actually speaking to me before I made my way to the man. When I came close enough to him, his eyes widened. "My lord, you're a girl." He said aghast. "Well, you are no use to me, now. Go on."

"Why do you say that?" It was obvious why, but I wanted to hear how stupid it sounded

"Why, you're a girl. I need these packages lifted into the carriage. I need someone who can lift them. I need a lad."

"Oh really? And I'm guessing you're too much of a girl to pick it up yourself." I told him. He scoffed and narrowed his eyes at me.

"I beg your pardon?"

"You really want me to repeat myself?" I headed towards the back of the carriage and I saw the packages laying on the ground. Four boxes. I opened up the back of the carriage and found myself lifting the boxes into the coach. Each one lighter than the other. Just pathetic. I closed the door and went back to the front where the man sat. I put my hand out and held it up like a bowl. The man looked between my hand and my eyes.

"You're serious?"

"Very." I said as I pushed my hand closer to the man. If I did the job, I was getting my pay. He reached into his pocket and dropped a few coins into my palm. But I didn't put my hand down.

"No." The man said. "You're asking for too much."

"But I'm only just a girl." I smiled innocently. The man grunted in annoyance and dropped a few more coins into my palm. I was content enough to put the coins into my own pocket and walk away. The power of manipulation was so powerful and I loved it.

When I looked up I spotted Jerry outside the shop looking at me with a blank stare. Without saying anything he started walking back towards the direction of the train station. I scoffed at his childish behaviours. He really hadn't said anything since the train ride. I followed after him, making sure that I stayed a few feet behind him.

"Could you move any slower?" He snapped, but continued walking.

I took a deep breath before replying. "I thought we were ignoring each other."

"We are."

"Doesn't seem like it."

"We are." He repeated with more venom to his tone. And then suddenly he stopped, charged towards me, grabbed my wrist and pulled me to walk with him at a fast pace. "You walk like a baby." He insulted. But I ignored him. His insults didn't bother me as much as his presence anyway.

Finally arriving back at the train station, we took our seats at the compartment and began our ride back to the Cuthbert's. Just like we agreed, the ride began silently. No comments, no insults, nothing. But I had to get it out of my gut. "You don't know me. You've known me for like four hours. What makes you think I'm a bad person. What makes you hate me?"

"I never said I hated you." He replied quickly.

"So you like me?"

"I never said that either." He turned to me. "Look. I don't hate you. I don't like you. You're a worker. I'm a worker. We work together. Okay? You're just someone I work with. We don't need to be all talkative and chatty. We don't need to say good morning to each other. We don't need to ask about each other's day. We just need to deal with each other's existence and work. That's what we're here for." His eyes filled with so much... I don't know... fury? Hatred? It made me turn my gaze away from him. Never had I felt such intimidating stare like the one I had just witnessed.

"What a speech." I said sarcastically. "Whatever you say, Jerry. Work is work. No need to get personal. I get it-"

"Good."

I leaned my head against the window just like I had on the other train and I lost myself in the nature world. The trees, the flowers, the grass. Something that had brought me comfort in a way that was not explainable. But comfort always faded at some point. Just like flowers did when winter made its majestic entrance. So you had to seek that comfort somewhere else. But I had nowhere to seek it after the greenery of the nature grew dim and grey.