Chapter 6

Jonah's POV

This place was an absolute gem. The fried chicken is amazing and the butter milk biscuits is everything I needed in a small warm delight. But the waffles with the homemade maple syrup and chicken? That takes the cake.

"Twenty-three." I guessed her age.

Audrey looked displeased. "Nobody has ever guess that close but no, I'm twenty-four." I grinned in triumph.

"Maybe I'm just that good." I tease turning my plate some so I can try the next dish.

"I say pure luck." She shook her head. "What about you? Thirty?" She blurted.

"Ouch. I'm twenty-seven." She laughs deviously which led me to say, "but you knew that already." I pointed out narrowing my eyes at her.

She nods. "Guilty. I may or may not have heard Tula and some of the other girls mentioned it before."

I mentally roll my eyes because of course. Tula probably gave all hotel staff a presentation on me and Tim.

"Are you born and raised here?" I ask taking a fork full of mac and cheese into my mouth. I had to swallow the groan that was in my throat for being so good.

"Pretty much." She shrugs, "born in Fort Lauderdale actually but that's basically up the street."

I nod watching as she takes a sip of her water. I watch as the straw rest right between her lips, lips that I find so damn attractive that I can't help staring at. They're like the perfect shape that they remind me of the dolls that my sister used to play with–too good to be true.

It's something about Audrey that immediately when I laid eyes on her, I practically itched to know her. I wanna know what makes her happy, what makes her sad and quite frankly what turns her on. It frustrates me when I do try to talk to her and she shuts my questions down by asking why do I care. It frustrates me because I don't know why, I just know that I want to know.

That I want her.

But I have eyes, and anyone with eyes can clearly see that Audrey has her guard up. By guard I mean four steel walls up around her that even the military can't break down. Which is fine, I'll respect her boundaries and won't force her to do anything she doesn't want to do. I'm just really glad she reached out to me.

"Do you ever wish you can be from somewhere else?"

"No." She answers rather quickly. "I like Miami and I wouldn't change anything about the roots that tie me here."

I thought back to when she told me she wishes to see snow just for a change in scenery. She had a certain desolation in her eyes when she talked about it and I figured now wouldn't be the best time to touch on it.

So I decided to go for a lighter subject that usually gets women going.

"Who's your favorite music artist?" I grin leaning back in my seat.

She raised her eyebrow and gave me a look that clearly said really? But I only smile in response as she shrugs.

"Beyoncé."

I chuckled. "Really? You know they made a whole series about her crazy fanbase." I teased as she laughs.

"Just because I say I like her doesn't make me a crazed fan. I love her music and would love to see her live but that's it."

"So you won't murder me behind her?" I joke.

She drops her fork. "Why, you don't like her?" Her face drops but there was still a glint of humor dancing in her eyes.