Chapter 29

Audrey's POV

I slept in the twins room last night. Sharing a twin bunk bed with Elyse wasn't the wisest idea but given the alternative, my pride wouldn't let me go into Jonah's room. And Maleah would want to talk about it which is the opposite of what I want.

Honestly I feel bad for being upset with him when he was desperately trying to avoid any conflict that might ruin this trip. A part of me just can't help but feel so damn embarrassed and naive to think that Jonah wouldn't read into my history. Since technically it was his job at the time. I just wanted him to know me from me and when I'm ready to share it.

Who knows what all information my background check even contains or just how rigorous it is.

I turn to my side for what felt like the fifteenth time tonight when I noticed the sun peaking through the blinds. I huff while shifting back onto my back, slowly I got up without alerting Elyse or Elijah that slept in the top bunk. Thankfully no-one upstairs seems to be awake yet, leaving me to enjoy the solidarity during my morning routine.

As I finish brushing my teeth I could hear low clings and clacking of pots and pans. From the staircase I could see Jonah's back to me as he stood in a white tank and navy sweats and cracked a dozen eggs into a bowl. For some strange reason my heart swells watching him preparing breakfast.

I bit my lip and tipped toed down the steps and into the kitchen wrapping my arms around his back.

"Good morning, gorgeous," he murmurs in what I presume is his early morning voice.

"I shouldn't have gotten upset with you yesterday and for that I apologize."

Jonah turns around in my hold so that he can look down at me.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." He plants a soft kiss on my forehead. "If it makes you feel any better I didn't actually read it. Tim did and told me about your arrest history."

It doesn't make me feel better, but for him I'll let it slide.

"That was the angriest I've ever gotten." I mumbled pulling myself up onto the kitchen counter. "I just had so much pent up energy that night."

Jonah shakes his head while pouring the eggs onto the skillet.

"We don't have to get into it today."

"I know, I know. You want a drama free trip and I'm not against it." I reassure as he crossed his arms over his chest. "It's just.... I struggle with sharing my past sometimes and it just seems a little unfair that you know about my history by cheating, when I barely know yours."

"Cheating?" He grins amusingly while mixing pancake mix.

"Yeah, background checks are considered cheating. Only crazy, paranoid or stalkers do that when dating someone. And given that I like you, I don't think you fall into any of those categories."

"I don't know," he says while drying his hands before positioning his body in between my thighs. "Tim has called me your Joe before."

It took me several seconds for my mind to register what he meant.

"Joe from You?" I arched my brow.

"Mhm." He hums running his hands up my legs to my thighs. "Since I used to watch you from the lobby's bar as you worked. He said I had stalker vibes."

I laugh. "You are my Joe." I tease.

He chuckles. "Does that mean I can lock you into a box and keep you all to myself?"

He starts feathering kissing along my collar bone working his way up to my neck. I bite down on my tongue to control my breathing as his right hand slid up under my shirt–massaging the space right under my breast.