Hierarchy

"Take out your fillers. We'll be having a pre-test today." Mr. Roviche sternly announced upon entering the class.

"He didn't even say good morning, lol." Hanni whispered. She knew their scores in this test would make either a good or bad first and last impression on him. Given that, they need to do well even if their lectures haven't started yet. 

"Psst, Haerin." Fortunately, they are classmates in this course. Ethics and Civics will surely have a lot of essays and oral presentations.

The latter didn't even look at her. With the filler and a ballpoint pen in hand, Haerin's attention was directed to their new professor.

"Hey, I need an extra ballpoint pen." Please. T-T. Hanni called again. No response. The professor glanced at them. After a few seconds, a pen was already placed on Hanni's table. She grinned. 

"If you're not being serious about studying, then at least try to hide it." Haerin replied in her monotone and started drafting answers on her filler.

The test went smoothly, with Haerin and Hanni getting the same score. There are seven of them who received an excellent rating for the essays they submitted.

Hanni finds everything at this university extremely boring. The only thing that excites her is being in the same classes as the president, as she believes that only Haerin is on par with her intellect. The others are subpar and not threatening enough for her. Though the only classes they have together are Ethics and Program in Writing and Rhetoric. They have different programs, but both are inclined toward medicine, with Haerin taking up a B.A. in Neuroscience and Hanni a B.A. in Molecular and Cellular Biology. 

Speaking of, Hanni was the only one left in the room. The president was not in sight. She's probably spending her free time in the council's penthouse. That place is exclusively for the university's president and vice president. Located in the far southern part of the academy, the penthouse was extravagant. It features exclusive facilities that any person with a prestigious background would probably have in their mansions.

It was only accessible to the two of them. However, other people could enter if they allowed them to. They will just need a key card. 

Hanni was thinking if she should go there too, since she has 4 hours of vacant time left before her next major class. She thought she could take a flight to a nearby country and roam around for a bit there, and when she went back to the university, she would still have time to prepare for class. She could only internally laugh at the thought.

As she was walking through the hallways, she noticed that the students seemed to be talking about something. Or, rather, circling someone.

"Hey, this isn't what we agreed on." "And I ranked higher than you. Don't you know the word respect?" The voice was followed by a loud thud as the vice president arrived at the scene. 

The scenario wasn't unusual. The vice president's presence was faint. The other students didn't notice she was there with them, watching one of the guys with a royal blue badge hardly kick the shin of another fellow schoolmate. They are 2nd years as per their badges. There are five badges: navy for the freshmen, royal blue for sophomores, indigo for third years, cobalt for upperclassmen, and white badges for those in their fifth year.

Students who didn't have badges with them are either failing in classes or ranked as the lowest in their batches. Particularly, they are the ones that the upperclassmen love to use as their slaves since they can't do anything to those who are higher than them in ranks. That's the fatal flaw of the status quo the university has. It's rotten deep inside.

The oppressed student couldn't do much as the oppressor continued to hit him. He's not saying anything as he continues to accept the blows. Hanni could only shake her head in disappointment. They made a wager, for sure. And that guy lost. Making bets is famous in the university. Both parties should give their consent for a bet to happen. Whoever loses will follow everything the students involved in the ordeal agreed on, because if they didn't, what they are witnessing right now will happen. The other students around don't care about what's happening; some are only watching out of curiosity. They are used to this.

There are no professors in the area, so Hanni needs to do her duties. To be honest, she doesn't really care about the entire fiasco, but she needs to stop them before things get out of hand.

"Go back to your respective classes." "You have no time to indulge yourself in watching such barbaric behaviors." The vice president's assertive voice echoed. 

"And the two of you, follow me." She added, staring at the two students who had been the center of attention earlier.

The students immediately heeded her command, hurriedly leaving the area of chaos and acting like no bullying happened there.

She sent the victim to the infirmary to mend his wounds and led the two of them into the disciplinary office right after. The committee officer on duty wasn't in a good mood, so Hanni just prayed to one of the saints she knew, mentioning that he should go easy on them. 

Upon exiting the room, Hanni caught the eyes of a girl who was just sitting mindlessly beside the door. 

What is she doing there? The 2nd-ranked officer wasn't familiar with the girl, but her eyes landed on her navy blue badge. Even when sitting, the vice president knew that the girl was tall.

Are first-year students' heights always like this? Life is so unfair. Hanni scowled. She observed the freshman again while the latter gave back her stare as well.

If it weren't for the badge, it would not even cross her mind that the girl was a freshman. The freshmen's silky midnight black hair falls freely on her shoulder as her obsidian eyes lord upon Hanni. She has such strong facial features too—very mature and confident.

If she's into girls, probably this one would be her type. She likes people who can carry themselves well. 

They are still staring at each other. Hanni's brow arched when she saw the girl's lips curve a little, smirking. The staring contest came to an end when the unnamed girl's phone rang, causing Hanni to shake her head and continue walking towards her next class.

Hanni won't forget that face. She got a feeling that she would see her again soon. No one has managed to make her feel intrigued since Haerin. That midnight-haired girl came as the second in line.

It seems like there are interesting freshmen out there.