Ch 10: The Turth

His family welcomed me with open arms. His uncles, aunts and cousins all were gathered to meet me. They hugged me and showered me with blessings. They were so excited. Most of them knew me because we have been a part of almost every family gathering. Baba and Uncle were childhood besties so there was nobody who was not at least acquainted with us.
I have become the eldest daughter-in-law of Uncle Hussain. My presence was long anticipated. Uncle Hussain was the eldest in the family so he played an important part in all the matters. Plus, Ziyad was the second eldest grandson, so he was cherished like a prince.
Being connected to them put me in the spotlight. All eyes were on me. I felt like a celebrity.

Aunty Quaser, his mother, hugged me tightly. " Welcome home, beta, " she said and kissed my forehead while holding my face in her palms.

" Thank you, Aunty, JazakAllah, " I smiled at her my eyes gleaming with gratitude.

" Oh, my daughter is here, " this hail was heard from none other than Uncle Hussain. My smile deepened and I went to hug him. He patted my head like he always does.

I had totally forgotten that I was here with Ziyad. I turned to look at him who was meeting his mother. Our eyes met for a brief second and I looked away. " theses flowers look beautiful on you, " his mother said with a teasing smile.

" Yeah, Thank you, Ziyad brought them, " I told her kind of sheepishly.
She giggled at my flushed face. She patted Ziyad's back in appreciation.

It was intimacy for me, him bringing garlands (even if his mother told him to). I am an Eastern woman, a Muslim woman, we are not frank with the opposite gender. We wait for the right man. Most of us don't go dating around and try to avoid any kind of unnecessary interaction with the opposite gender. That's how we are brought up. Under the veil, in protection away from the wild eyes and desires. That's the way we are respected, that's the way we are cherished.

Ziyad only has brothers so his cousins played the part of his sisters. After I greeted everybody and sat with them for a while they dragged me out of the crowd saying 'What I was doing with the old ladies' so I joined them on the lawn.

" Congratulations on the wedding, Asra Bhabi, " Hina said excitedly as we sat around the table where all the girls were chatting and enjoying refreshments.

" I always used to bet that there was something between you two, " one commented teasingly but I got offended by her remark.

" No, you are wrong, it is a purely arrange marriage, none of us was interested in one another, " I politely told her. Well, I don't have to elaborate but her statement turns me defensive. Because in the past I had often heard these scandalous remarks and it always boils my blood as I have never tried to throw myself on him.

" Yeah, yeah, as if we will believe what you say, " she remarked with an exaggerated arch brow. My brows knitted. I remember her, her name was Sakinah, his aunt's daughter, and she had a crush on Ziyad. They had high hopes that Uncle Hussain will take her as his daughter-in-law.

" If I had a choice I wouldn't have married your dear Ziyad, you are accusing me as if I stole something from you," I told jokingly. Sometimes I wish to stuff tissues in my big mouth so I don't utter nonsense. When will I learn, not everybody needs to be answered.

" It's still not too late, you can leave him, there are many waiting to be in your place, " she told me. She might have thought she looked sly but she looked pathetic at that moment. At that moment, I wished to be a cat, so I could make her face a brilliant work of art.

" Thanks for your advice, I will surely think about it, " I told her with a cunning smile. " But I never degrade a blessing sent towards me. " I further fanned her jealousy. She huffed and didn't say anything else. My statement turned her into a steam engine, Wow!

But somehow even though I had shut her up she had managed to spoil my mood. After a while, I excused myself and went to the kitchen to drink water. I opened the fridge and grab a water bottle. I poured a glass for myself and sat on the chair to drink. I pour down the glass in a single gulp.

"hey Bhabi, slow down, " I heard a masculine voice. I looked up to find Zain looking at me with amusement.

" Yeah, where were you I have not seen you the whole day. " I asked him pouring myself another glass.

" Well, I was dealing with the arrangements. Bhai got married and I had to do all the preparation. " he sighed dramatically.

" Don't worry when you will marry he will prepare everything for you, " I consoled him.

" In sha Allah, " He said. " Why are you here alone? ...Introvert? " he asked with knitted brows.

" No," I lightly laughed. " I am not that introvert, I was getting along well but I need a break... " I shrugged.

" yeah, I understand, " he laughed lightly.

" You both make up a good couple, " Zain said out of nowhere.

" Oh, really? " I said

" Yeah, you can't imagine how Baba had reacted when Bhai said that he wants to marry you... Uncle discussed with Baba that he had received a nice proposal for you. Bhai was there, he got offensive and abruptly denied even though his opinion was not needed. We were so shocked at his outburst but later that night he said he wants to marry you.
Baba almost danced with joy. He always wished that but he had never imposed anything on us so when bhai declared it himself. Baba was over the moon. Guess who is the fav-child now? " I giggled and he sighed. Wow! This was a new revelation. Ziyad had told me a totally different story. But why was he telling me all that? As if reading my mind he said

" I am telling you this because I don't want you to feel insecure about the comments the jealous people throw your way. Your man is already wrapped around your finger regardless of his denial. So don't ruin your mood and put your belief in this relationship. " he politely smiled at me.

" Oh boy, you have grown up so well, " I genuinely smiled at him. " Thank you so much, I really needed it, " I told him gratefully.

" Anytime, " he said with his signature soft smile and excused himself collecting the things he came for.

°•°•°•°•°