Ch 27: Afresh

Asra's PoV

I surveyed the room, still immersed in darkness, but the cawing of crows hinted at the approaching dawn. I realized I was on the verge of missing Fajr. Throwing off the blanket, I felt something heavy preventing me from getting up. Turning my head, I found Ziyad snuggled into me, his arm wrapped around my waist. He was in a deep sleep, lightly snoring. I gazed at him; if it weren't for Fajr, I wouldn't want to leave his side. He looked ethereal, indescribably beautiful. I delicately caressed his cheeks with the tips of my fingers, causing him to slightly shiver. Somewhere along the way, his arms had become the safest haven, and his scent, my therapy. His warmth acted as my comforter, and the rhythm of his beating heart turned into my favorite lullaby. I couldn't pinpoint when Ziyad bin Hussain recaptured my heart.

"Ziyad," I called out, cupping his face. He inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly.

"Ziyad, wake up," I called again, smiling when his grip around my waist tightened.

"You have to wake up, or else both of us will miss Fajr," I informed him. He loosened his grip and groaned in disapproval, slowly opening his eyes and looking at me.

"Wake up," I whispered with a smile, and he nodded.

"Subah Ba'khair," he greeted in his morning voice, causing my heartbeat to accelerate. His arm remained around me.

"I think we should get up; there are only fifteen minutes left until the time for Fajr will be over," I suggested, trying to act unfazed, but his presence made it challenging.

"How are you feeling?" he asked as he got up. Until he brought it up, I had almost forgotten about the anxiety attack last night. I flushed in embarrassment.

"Alhamdulillah," I replied, avoiding eye contact. He sighed and got out of bed, and I followed suit.

"I am going to the other room; you go freshen up," he told me. It was unusual for him to drop the topic so easily; perhaps the limited time for Fajr prevented further inquiry. With that, he left the room, and I stared at the closed door.

Was he mad at me?

-----

The sun was radiant and the sky clear, as if it had poured down all its brilliance. I stood on the balcony, taking in the surroundings. The morning breeze carried the scent of earth, everything feeling fresh, renewed by the rain. Ziyad hadn't returned to the room after praying, and I didn't go to check.

I heard the door open and close, but I didn't turn to look. It was him; I recognized the sound of his steps. Soon, his arm snaked around my waist, and he hugged me from behind, burying his face in the crook of my neck. I gulped, too aware of his presence; his touch was driving me crazy.

"What took you so long?" I questioned, feeling him smile against my neck.

"I was reciting the Quran," he answered precisely.

"Why didn't you go to bed?" he asked.

"I love the morning after rain. I came out to see it and lost track of time," I told him, not mentioning that I was also waiting for him. He turned me around, making me face him.

"You almost gave me a heart attack yesterday," he said, looking into my eyes.

"I don't know why I reacted that way... I am sorry," I apologized, looking down and fidgeting with my fingers nervously.

"Hey, don't apologize. It wasn't your fault," he reassured, holding my hand and lifting my face by the chin.

"I got worried when you didn't pick up the call; I was afraid that something bad might have happened to you, and I would lose you," tears welled up in my eyes.

"Oh, my baby girl. I am sorry for getting you worried about me. It was so noisy there that I didn't hear my phone ringing," he cupped my face, wiping my tears with his thumb.

"In my stupidity, I also called Zain asking for your friend's number," I lightly laughed with teary eyes, seeing him gulp, mesmerized by me. "He was so deep in sleep... he incoherently responded and hung up," I told him, giggling. All that seemed funny now.

"If Zain told Baba, he might take the next flight here to kill me for making his beloved daughter-in-law worried and leaving her alone at night," he said, shivering, and I smiled.

"Yes, he should teach you a good lesson for leaving your bride waiting," I said playfully, and he raised a brow challengingly.

"So, my bride wants to see me get scolded by my father," he locked eyes with me.

"Yes, you should be punished at least," I folded my arms, jutting my chin at him.

"Wasn't last night enough of a punishment?" he whispered in a dangerously low voice. I knew what he was referring to, and I flushed at his statement.

"Let's let bygones be bygones. Let's have breakfast," I tried to walk past him, ending the conversation, but he was not in the mood to drop it. He blocked my way.

"How are you now?" he asked with concern laced in his voice.

"I am fine, Alhamdulillah. Look at me; don't I look fine?" I told him, and he took a step back, gazing at me intently from head to toe. Suddenly, I felt nervous under his gaze.

"You seem fine, but I don't know why your cheeks are crimson," he remarked, enjoying my state.

"You are crazy," I pushed past him, hearing him laugh richly.

 " You told me to look at you and when i looked you got shy...what's my fault in all of this..." he laughed coming after me.

 " Go away... I am not talking to you... You always annoy me," I complained.

  " I can't help it... Teasing you is my favourite hobby, " he said sitting beside me on the bed. I glared at him at his remark.         

"Don't look at me like that; I have one heart; I might lose it to you," he said, looking into my eyes with a soft smile adorning his lips.

"Haven't you already..." I stated boldly with newfound courage, looking equally into his eyes. The smile faded from his lips, and his eyes darkened with emotions.

*****