Ch 18

Flashback 1 1/2 years ago

"Eli, can I ask you something?"

"What's up?"

I was over at Wayne Manor for lunch. Bruce was out on business in London. Usually Jason would go with him but Bruce said that it wouldn't be necessary. Naturally, Jason didn't like that and whined to me about it. Luckily I wasn't busy so we would be able to hang out a lot while Bruce was away.

I enjoyed spending time with Jason. He was funny, attentive, and made really good sandwiches. I just am so in love with him to the point where I know that I wouldn't survive without him. I felt a deep connection to him.

"Have you ever wanted to just get away?" Jason asked, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

I looked up from my sandwich. "All the time." I took the last bite of it. "Why?"

Jason shrugged, sipping his water. "I've been thinking a lot. What about a place by the water? It doesn't even have to be an ocean."

"That would be really nice." I replied, wiping my mouth.

"A dog, possibly a cat. One of those really old sports cars and a big front porch." Jason explained, setting his chin on his hand. "I think about it a lot."

I copied his position and grinned at him. "I think it's a wonderful idea."

"Would you come with me?" Jason asked, hope lingering in his eyes.

"In a heartbeat." I replied, no hesitation.

"Good cause I gotta keep an eye on you." Jason teased, winking at me.

I chuckled. "You don't have to protect me all the time."

"Yes I do. It's my job." Jason replied, standing up and taking my plate.

I threw my napkin at him and shook my head. "You're such a jerk."

Jason laughed and stuck his tongue out at me. Even if we were just messing around, I knew Jason was being serious. He was always there for me, looking out for me, protecting me. He never allowed me to be the first to walk into a dangerous situation. He was like my bodyguard.

"Really though," He started, turning back to face me after putting the plates in the sink, "one day I hope I get to live by the water. I want you to be with me."

"Promise?" I asked, sticking my pinky out.

Jason grinned and walked over to me, hooking his pinky with mine. "Promise."

End of flashback

I sat staring at my grandfather's journal Bruce brought to me. I wanted to read the rest of it, see what kinds of things he had to say about our family, but I couldn't bring myself to open it up. I was scared I was going to get angry and destroy things again.

I sighed and set the journal on my nightstand. I was tired of staying in bed. Maverick and I napped for a little bit. I felt more rested and less exhausted. I felt an arm around my waist and I jumped. I looked over and saw Jason was sound asleep, I forgot he was still in my room. I smiled. He looked so much calmer when he slept.

I don't know how I would be able to get through this without him. He was one of the few things keeping me sane. Knowing I had his support meant everything to me. I felt safe and protected when I was with him. I wholeheartedly loved him more and more everyday.

I slowly peeled his arm off my waist and stood up. I was still a little weak but I had to get up. I grabbed a blanket off the bench in front of my bed and made my way out of my room. I went down the hall and down the stairs where I could hear Maverick's giggling.