Chapter 1: Coming of Age

Arabella was leaning on the balustrade in the balcony while gazing at the dark sky. The gown made from high quality velvet shimmer in the soft light along with the silver threads embroidered.

A silver tiara adorned with purple gleaming gemstones was resting in her hair that's put in a braided bun(braided updo). While some strands of her hair framed her face delicately.

She sigh. She changed gown for the sake of the night ball, and she was already tired. The ceremony taken in the morning has already take most of her energy.

While looking at the moon she suddenly remembered something.

It was from a long time ago that it was vague. Or maybe it wasn't really a long time, but it just she was too young to remember many things. Either way, it has already became faint. too faint it was already going to fade away.

‘Arabella..’  A soft gentle voice called her, there was a faint smile in those voice. And even the touch was warm and gentle.

Arabella look up at her mother. She couldn't remember her face anymore. Only the feeling of warmth slightly remains.

‘look, it was the moon.’ The woman carry the 3 year old child to the balcony. The child look at what her mother was pointing. Though the moon wasn't interesting enough so she just look at her mother again.

The woman just smiled helplessly and caress her daughter's hair. ‘Everyone will eventually left someday, because we are temporary and fleeting. The moon has witness many life and death, as well as the mountains experience thousands war.’

she look at her daughter that's  attention wasn't on her but the toy she was playing with. ‘It was there the moment you were born, and would continue to be there centuries pass. So my dear child, whenever you are alone you could look up at the sky. For the sky would never left you.’

*rustle*

A soft rustling sound interrupted her thoughts. She look down and she could see the slight moving of bushes below.

She squinted her eyes, tho she really couldn't make anything out because of so much darkness.

Just as she was estimating if she would be okay if she jumps out from the balcony

Amy--her personal attendant-- voice ring. “My lady, it is time.”

Her heart somewhat jump. She was already timid by nature and following her parents death she had become even more withdrawn. This day was the first time in forever she socialize with a lot of people, and in the morning she almost die from nervousness.

And now at night, she would get even more attention. She was so anxious that even her walking turns a bit stiff.

Stopping at the delicately carved wooden door, she wished something would happen to delay the unavoidable even for a second.

But of course, that did not happened.

The door opened and the herald voice rang throughout the room. “Hear ye! Hear ye! Announcing the arrival of Lady Genevieve Arabella Florencia, Daughter of the late Duke Alexander Florencia, and late Duchess Ingrid Rose Florencia. Although they are no longer in this world, their legacy lives on in their daughter. Now let us honor her on this momentous occasion.”

The sounds of clapping drowned out the light sounds of heels hitting the floor. And as she stands in the topmost point of the stairs, all eyes focus on her.

Now she really somewhat regrets not jumping in the balcony.

She set her sight straight. Not daring to look directly below. And started to step down.

The act of gasping and whispering to each other could be seen in her peripheral vision. But the sound of clapping masked the sound so she couldn't hear what was being said.

She tense up, she almost want to run.

Meanwhile The old general--her father's trusted aid & also advisor, who act as her guardian-- take her hand after she steps down from the stairs.

The claps started to die down as the general led her to the gorgeously dressed man. It was the emperor.

The emperor smile.“It's been a while little lady” The emperor nods slightly before she kissed the back of her hand.

She curtsy. “Good Evening your majesty, it's our honor to have you.”

“Well, shall we take this dance?”

“It would be my pleasure.”

.
.
.

After she take dances one after another. She finally politely declines.

The emperor was talking to the general. He looked at her, smiles and nod's her to come.

She curtsy to the emperor. A servant was holding a tray filled with an ornate box with beautiful patterns.

“Please accept this gift as an expression of my congratulations and well wishes. And I apologize as I need to leave early.”

“Thank you your majesty.” She took the box and put it in the tray of the other servant that was on her side--The general already long called someone to bring her her gift for his Majesty-- and took the smaller box next to it. “Your majesty please also accept this present as a small token of appreciation for your presence.” She handed the box with both hands.

“What a fine brooch.” The emperor said as he look at the finely crafted emerald brooch with diamonds. “Thank you for this my lady.” He smiles as he handed the box to one of his attendant.

“Your majesty is too kind. I am glad that this gift meets your approval.” “Please let this lady accompany you to your carriage as a farewell.”

“Then let's go.”

As the emperor go, The guest parted and bow towards the emperor.

After she pays respect and goodbye to the emperor with the general. She almost don't want to go back inside. She sigh's internally.

.
.
.

After taking the gifts of the nobles and interacting a few words and eating some desserts, she finally found a chance to retire.

Instead of going to her chambers tho, she strolled towards the garden.

The air is cool and refreshing at night. She walked towards the part where there is fireflies.

This is a secluded place, a bit faraway to the dukedom castle. There was a small lake here-

‘hmm?’

“Is someone there?”

no one answers.

did she see wrong? ‘I thought I see some silhouette of a person.’

She flopped to the ground and took some flowers.

She didn't know how long she stayed like that. Just listening to the crickets, and the soft rustling of leaves being swayed by the wind. 

The night was peaceful. There was no ripples in her heart, just like the calm lake in the distance.

Eventually she still gets up and tidied her gown, making sure that there's no leaves or grass left. Before she goes back and perform her duty again.

[end of chapter]
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
note:
Her age is 12 here. The story would start before the main character's adulthood, and before she loses everything.