Meditation and Earthbending Training

Kyoshi's POV

I meditate in the throne room listening to the spirits that whisper around me and I can sense a stir about someone entering the city but am pulled out by a familiar voice. "Would you like to eat sometime today Kyoshi?" Grandfather Bumi asks coming to stand in front of me and I raise my eyebrows with a smirk. "I ate dinner, last night Grandfather," I tell him noting that it's still early morning and I hear a light rumble of laughter in the back of his throat. "My dear, it's nearly evening," he tells me and my eyes finally jerk open in shock.

He laughs at the surprise on my face "So I missed my earthbending lessons again?" I ask in horror knowing for a fact Grandfather was about to drop me as his student, and this caused Grandfather only to laugh louder. "You are a curious case, my dear, only 14, and you are constantly lost in the spirit world," he smiles at me ruffling my hair lightly. I shrug "It's much more interesting than this world I tell him, and you wouldn't believe all the things I learn," I explain to him and his smile lessens taking a more serious edge. 

"But is it teaching you how to be queen?" he asks me and I look away "Kyoshi, I love that you have such a profound connection, but you will be the queen of Omashu once I'm gone. I plan to be around for as long as possible but you need to be prepared if that happens sooner rather than later," he continues, the idea causing my stomach to flip. I couldn't comprehend a world without my Grandfather he was the only parent I'd ever known, my only family. "Well, we can get to our lessons now?" I suggest and he smiles at me. "Are you sure you're up for it?" he asks and I nod with determination.

I was not a fighter, I actually hated it. The spirits frowned upon it and said that it should only be used as a defense and that humans would be much better off if they'd just quit fighting. I tied the blindfold around my eyes before stepping out onto the training grounds, which is one of Grandfather's requirements. I knew he was here, but the question was where? I tried to feel the vibrations in the earth as he'd taught me long ago, but I was too slow. Before I knew it I was knocked on my butt by a rock, "A good leader must foresee the upcoming challenges and prepare for them! Take a defensive stance," he commanded

I did ask told and listened for any sign of him, this time I felt the vibrations and was able to stop the rock coming towards me by grabbing it and destroying it to dust. I just couldn't pinpoint him and was soon knocked down again, "A good leader handles the problem at the root. You should have ducked the attack and then directed your own towards me," he criticized and I pleaded with the spirits for this training session to end. "King Bumi! Three kids have been arrested and are awaiting your judgment in the throne room," I heard a royal guard call out.

"I'll be there shortly," I heard Grandfather call before another rock knocked me down "A good leader takes every opportunity to win the battle," I hear him tell me as he grabs my hand and leads me out of the training grounds. I remove the blindfold and change back into my long flowing green dress which is customary attire for an Earth Kingdom Princess. I follow my Grandfather to the throne room where I see three peculiar-looking kids knelt. Two in traditions Southern Water Tribe warmer weather clothes, and a young monk, with airbending master tattoos. 

I stood quietly at Grandfather's side observing the three, and hear the spirits around me whispering of the young monk. "The Avatar," I heard one say "Your Majesty, these juveniles were arrested for vandalism, traveling under false pretenses, and malicious destruction of cabbages," the guard listed off their offenses and I felt a small smile creep onto my face. These three really knew how to get into trouble in a short amount of time.