Feasts

Kyoshi's POV

"Off with their heads! One for each head of cabbage!" the cabbage merchant called out as he stomped, and I couldn't help but go towards the curious bunch. "Silence! Only the King can pass judgment!" The guard billowed eyes locked on my grandfather. I moved around the Avatar perplexed and recall some of the stories my grandfather had shared with me. They'd been friends 100 years ago and looking at the boy in front of me was a true head-scratcher. His grey eyes locked with mine as he gave a nervous smile I gave a small nod of the head before inspecting the girl, "what is your judgment, sire?" the guard asked, but my grandfather only smiled as he let me continue my examination. 

I felt a spirit in the air around the two water tribe natives, but not one of power, one of memory. I lifted my hand and touch the spot on my neck where her necklace hung and her eyes widened in surprise. I gave a small bow in sympathy to the loss as I moved to the final 'juvenile' As I inspected him I felt a blush rise to my cheeks. He was handsome, but there was a familiarity to him causing me to step even closer. He gulped at my sudden closeness and I searched his eyes "I knew you once," I said to him feeling happiness from a glimpse of a memory that wasn't quite mine. 

The boy furrowed his eyebrows as I crossed the room back to my grandfather. "Sire, your judgment?" the guard asks again as my grandfather hums slightly glaring at the three. He glances at me and I nod "Throw them... a feast," he declares causing me to laugh a little as the others look perplexed. "Kyoshi, bring them to the dining room won't you," Grandfather asks and I nod giving a low bow "As you wish Grandfather," I tell him and go towards the three. I bow to them showing them the same respect I would any guest in the castle "Welcome, I am Princess Kyoshi," I tell the group and they blink at me surprised "It's nice to meet you, Princess," the girl says a tone of nervousness still laced through her words.

"Please follow me," I ask of them as I turn in the direction of the dining room, and I can hear them follow behind me. "So what's going on here? Why are you guys throwing us a feast and not in prison?" The water tribe boy interjected and I shrug "I don't know, my grandfather is the King and he has never stirred us wrong before," I tell them and then look back at them slightly "However, I don't believe you belong in prison. I think that'd be counter-productive to your goals," I tell them as I look at the Avatar and he gives me a puzzled look.

Once we enter into the dining room I can see chefs and servers alike bustling in and out with trays of food. Grandfather sits waiting for us at the head of the table and I gesture for the group to take their seats.