PROLOGUE

"You wanna hear my backstory?"

"My death was kinda boring."

"I just gave up."

Laura Brown and Wally Clark were the cliche high school romance. The jock gets with the head cheerleader, they last a few months together and then they have a dramatic breakup.

But those two were different.

What ended up getting in the way of their happy ever after was Wally Clark dying on the field at their homecoming game.

but despite the death what if they did have their happy ever after?

they just both had to be dead for it.

"When I first had a crush on The Wally Clark we were in the eighth grade. I had just moved into town. He was the nicest guy in the whole school."

"We were in all the same classes our freshman year. We had been those two kids in the back of the room flirting that everyone around us would assume we must have been dating."

"I finally built up the confidence to ask him to go watch a movie with me."

"We started dating three weeks later on December fifth."

"After a month of dating Wally had finally asked me to have dinner with his mother to meet her."

"See the thing is Wally was always a superstar when it came to football. I had always thought he just was in love with the sport which was why he was so focused, devoted, and hard on himself about football."

"But I knew that truth when I met his mom at that dinner. The first thing she told me was that i better not be a 'distraction' for her son had a real chance to go pro for football."

"Of course Wally being the sweetheart he was, he quickly told her that I was nothing like that and I had actually helped him preform better at the sport."

"I knew it was absolute bullshit though as prior at his first game of the season he explained how nervous I made his feel on the field because he didn't wanna make a fool of himself in-front of me."

"I fully believe his mom is the one that killed him. Obviously she didn't tackle him and snap his neck but she pushed him way to far leading him to die, and I will never forgive her for that."

"Wally doesn't think that way though. Being the sweet guy that he still is even now he will never blame her for what happened. Honestly I think he more feels like he failed her."

"At the Homecoming game I had a gut wrenching feeling. I thought it was just the pizza I had ate a few hours prior to the game. Quickly I found out that it wasn't the reason in why i was feeling so bad."

"I watched Wally die right in-front of me."

"Do you know what that does to someone?"

"Especially to someone who had been so irrevocably in love with him for five years. His death killed me. Not physically but mentally. He never walked off that field and neither did I."

"I only lasted about four months after his death at homecoming. I died February fifth. I died four years and two months after we started dating."

"Honestly the date in which I died made me laugh after of course I was already dead."

"The real kicker was how I really could've survived."

"I was leaving the school after a basketball game but every time I go into the school I have to stop at Wally's old locker and pay him a little visit."

"Even him dying he still couldn't get rid of me that easily."

"Sounds creepy I know, but his locker would have flowers, candles, pictures of him, and his jersey number on it and scattered across the floor in-front of it. It gave me a sense of relief in a way, as he didn't have his funeral yet since the ground was still frozen from winter."

"I would just stop at it after school everyday and talk to him there like we used to when he was still alive. Well when we both were still alive."

"after I had filled him in on the gossip of Carol Ethans being pregnant at the ripe age of sixteen, and about the game I had just watched I walked out those big school front doors and I never walked through them alive again."

"I walked into the parking lot going to get into my car but I stupidly had forgotten to look both ways."

"a simple task our parents teach us when we are little and I forgot it, And it would cost me my life."

"A car came out of nowhere and hit me. I went flying and landed on my back."

"I don't know who was in the parking lot to the high school that late at night but it doesn't really matter at this point i've come to peace with my death the second after I found Wally and found out that I would be spending the rest of eternity with him."

"Just like we planned from the beginning."

"Honesty I am a hundred percent sure I would've survived if I had just gotten up. if I tried to fight death."

"But I came to terms with the fact that Wally would never be alive again and that we would never live to grow old together or watch our children grow up."

"So I gave up"

"and I do think that was the best thing I couldn't done."

"I couldn't live in a world without him."

Author's Note

Okay not gonna lie I cried over a bit of that. It was a little bit sad. but the reason I put most of her backstory here now is because I don't wanna wait a hell of a long time to introduce her backstory later in the book. Also if anything is confusing please let me know! it most likely was confusing so just ask and i will help straighten it out! also i was listening to music during this so these were the songs i was listening to that i think helped make this so much sadder and also really fit the vibe of this chapter.

Fourth of July by Sufjan Stevens
Only Love Can Hurt Like This by Paloma Faith
Space Song by Beach House
The Night We Met by Lord Huron
Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears

Obviously it took me a hot second to write this and it so t take as long to read it but i do recommend listening to them!