Part 2 - Chapter 4

1990-

The town of Stonewell

Rupert Parsons opened his eyes to the sound of water drumming on plastic. Unhurried, he dragged his body from under the duvet. His dreams of strolling along a white sand-covered beach faded.

Still half asleep, he swung his feet to the floor and sat on the edge of the bed. For a few seconds, he gathered his thoughts before trudging to the window. Tugging the curtains back, he stared outside. Black clouds filled with rain hurried across the sky. "Typical bloody weather."

To his left, a Chief Superintendent uniform hung on a plastic coat hanger from the curtain rail. Today was the last day he would wear it.

Joyce Parsons, his long-term partner, entered the bedroom naked.

"You'd better make a move. Can't be late for your meeting with the Chief Constable."

He shrugged. "That man is more of a politician than a copper. When I smell smoke, I look for the fire. He contacts his secretary, who calls the fire brigade."

She sat in front of her dressing table. "You're the one who decided to retire."

"I know, but...."

"No buts. The hierarchy passed you over for promotion twice. Starting tomorrow, you're a civilian. It won't be long before I'm joining you."

"I've been thinking about our future. We should get married in case something happens to me."

"Like what?"

"I kick the bucket. Fall under a bus. My pension will give you a decent life."

"Rupert, we have discussed this before. I'll have enough with my pension. Go shower, or you can drive yourself to the station."

Yawning, he strolled out of the bedroom. "On my way." In the bathroom, he washed, lathered his face, shaved and showered. Having rubbed himself dry, he returned to the bedroom. From the curtain rail, he moved his uniform and dressed.

Joyce sat on the edge of the bed, dressed in faded blue jeans and a white blouse. "You have fifteen minutes to eat your breakfast."

"Toast and strong coffee will do me. Have you seen my black socks?"

Joyce smiled. "They're on your feet."

"This is going to be one of those days, I know. Don't wait up tonight. I'll get a taxi." He glanced around the bedroom, gathered his watch and wallet, and raced to the kitchen.

Joyce looked at him as he devoured his three slices of toast and drank his coffee. "I'll retrieve you from the dinner at midnight."

He lifted his face towards her. "You don't have to. I'm a big boy."

Outside, a few raindrops bounced off her dark blue Audi A8.

Rupert gave it a casual glance. "About time you changed this beast. Run it much longer, and its second-hand price will be pennies."

She glanced across the car roof at him. "How do you feel this being the end of a major phase of your life?"

Rupert shrugged. He would miss the life he had created more than he cared to admit, but this wasn't the time to say so. "Get in and drive. I can't be late for the Chief Constable."

She smiled. "Yes, sir."

During the journey, they said nothing.

He pondered on his career. He had been a hard taskmaster, never accepting anything but one hundred percent from his team. He knew he was one of the best detectives but failed at politics every time. Rupert enjoyed his life when he pursued some criminal and nailed the bastard. Finding the evidence and solving the crime was his favourite saying.