Chapter Forty-One

The following morning, Joyce drove Rupert to the station. They crossed the carpark and entered reception. As they signed in, she asked, "What time do you think the governor will send for you?"

He grinned. "What do you mean? I don't work for him, but you do. He'll take his rage out on you because he knows I don't give a toss what he thinks. As I dragged you into this, how about we face the politico together. The best form of defence is attack."

When they reached reception, Rupert asked the desk sergeant if Chief Superintendent Julian Archer was in his office."

The sergeant glanced at the wall clock. "He arrives at nine on the dot, so in answer to your question, he's not in."

"Perfect," said Rupert. "Joyce, fancy a cup of coffee in my office."

"You are about to make a point, aren't you?"

"I'll not have him behaving like an arsehole in front of you Early. I have an idea."

In his office, Rupert rummaged in the top drawer of his desk while Joyce filled two mugs with coffee.

"Found it. Testing three, two one." He pressed playback, and his voice was loud and clear. Again, he searched the drawer, found two new batteries, and replaced those in the machine."

Joyce placed a mug of steaming coffee in front of him. "I assume you intend to tape the conversation."

"Right in one, but I have no intention of telling him, so think before you say a word. I'll give Sarah, his secretary, a bell and ask her to make herself scarce after we enter his office. We have twenty minutes, so enjoy your coffee.

Rupert drained the dregs of his mug and stood. "Ready for the battle."

Joyce placed her mug on his desk. "Archer hasn't a snowball's chance in hell, and you know that."

Together, they seated themselves outside Julian's office.

Chief Superintendent Julian Archer nodded as he passed, entered his office and sank into his chair.

Rupert and Joyce waited until Sarah left.

Julian gazed at them, shrugged and pointed at two chairs. "I assume you have a good reason for wanting to see me. Rupert, you're not the type to pop in for a chat. So, what do you want?"

"Have you seen the report on the weapons a team of divers discovered? I know you haven't, or you would have said something. During our last chat, you specifically told me the force had changed, and my methods of investigation sank with the ark. You are wrong.

"My staff spent weeks checking records and interviewing the missing women's other halves. The disappearances led us to the housekeeper, and we hit a brick wall. Thanks to the sharp eyes of constable Julie Oddman, we believe she saw the opal pendant worn by one of the victims. You will be aware that the killer often keeps an item of the victim as a souvenir. Proof they are deceased, whatever the reason, we'll never know. Then I hit a brick wall. You were not satisfied with my gut feeling. You wanted solid evidence. Well, I found it, and now I require exhumation orders for six graves. He hoisted the plastic bag and dropped it onto Julian's desk. Your evidence, sir."

Julian ignored the disrespect. "So, tell me how she, an old woman, killed six younger fit women?"

Old, maybe, but her warped brain still worked. I followed my instinct, you know, it doesn't exist, and to make it official, I dragged my wife to a Sunday morning sermon in Stonewall. When the service ended, I asked the vicar Ian Spence if he would help us with our enquiries and allow my wife and me to search his housekeepers' accommodation. I also asked him to detail our examination in his own hand and note anything we found. In the bag is a photocopy of his report."