Chapter 1

October (1)

"Minnie, no."

Lisa holds her phone between her ear and shoulder as she carefully stacks used books onto the paint-chipped shelf in front of her. She can tell these particular books were donated by locals — a lot of the covers have faded from sun exposure and she spent several minutes shaking sand out from between the pages — but worn books are better than none.

Usually the used books she receives end up being six copies of the same smutty romance novel, kids books that have drawings in the pages, and some yellowing copies of whatever's in the high school English curriculum these days. None of it is particularly groundbreaking content, but books aren't getting any cheaper, and she's just glad the shop can provide some alternative to breaking the bank with printed paper.

"Minnie, you can't keep mentioning me to the single women on your tour," she responds, neatly arranging the books for an unnecessary amount of time. She has this conversation with Minnie maybe twice a week, so it's an endless carousel of the same responses. "And you absolutely cannot tell them where I work. The last time you sent someone over here, she leaned over the counter and her—" She stops herself, clearing her throat. "You know what? Never mind."

Feeling satisfied with her work, she takes her phone in hand and wanders to the back of the room, rolling her eyes as Minnie makes fun of her.

"Yes, I am capable of saying boobs, thank you."

Minnie — her closest friend and, unfortunately, her biggest cheerleader — begins to tell a story about their other friend Jisoo and her recent dating adventures. Lisa takes a seat on the wooden stool behind the counter, surveying her temporary kingdom. It's early afternoon and the place has been deserted for hours. The only sounds are the fans in the room and the seagulls enjoying the tepid spring air outside. Clouds pass by the window behind her in a lazy manner. Not enough to indicate rain, but just enough to provide the sky with some drama.

She picks up her glasses, wiping the lenses with her shirt before placing them on her nose. The world around her shifts into focus. It's not unusual for her to be bored at work — especially during the off-season — but she'd much rather be out on the water on a day like today. It's not too hot outside, but the water will be gorgeous. She could be with her board, letting the ocean sift through her troubles. She could be diving with Jisoo, exploring the pocket worlds below the surface that are scattered along the coastline.

But she feels safe here, weirdly. Like if the entire world was burning outside, she has this unspoken belief that she could come in here to hide out and everything would be okay. Like the walls of this place would protect her. And that's unusual, because she has spent so much time feeling unsafe. Unsure. Here, she can exhale and not worry about the next time she has to hold her breath.

Everything about the shop feels like home. The sun-bleached, salt-weathered wooden sign nailed above the door that reads SUPERION BOOKS in large green letters. The bell above the front door, designed to notify a customer's entry, despite the shop being so small that it's near-impossible to miss someone entering.

The short, wooden fence-like structures that divide the bookstore from its cafe counterpart, even if Lisa is sure they're supposed to be outdoor garden decorations. The tall bookshelves that are in desperate need of a repaint, carrying an assorted array of fiction and nonfiction, new and used. The distinct forest green colour that washes over the entire space like a wave. The potted and hanging plants spaced around the room.

Her job involves recommending books, making the occasional coffee, and keeping plants alive. She has very little to complain about.

(And despite having to sit on a stool whenever she needs a break, she has immaculate posture.)