CHAPTER 2 - ARRIVAL OF THE CARLYLES

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

The following morning was followed by endless interviews for talent which were, much to mine and George’s amusement, going horribly. Now, I have a high level of respect for Anthony but perhaps his method when it came to his ‘tests’ were slightly questionable. Personally, I think bringing out the ghost jar was more of a second interview type of test. 

But, as much as I hate to admit it, his tests were proving to be awfully effective.You see, if it were up to these interviewees we would have to seriously start worrying about George’s toothbrush cup. 

Currently, Anthony in his oversized coat and shirt and trousers, George in his casual jeans and funky jumper with his big boxy glasses and I were sitting opposite our last interviewee of the day. 

Myself and Anthony on the two seat sofa and George on the armchair sat at about arms length from my left. I say that, George and I were more lounging, he was reading his comic while I was completely zoned out watching the conversation between Anthony and the girl but not actually hearing. It's been a long day and our hunger was starting to turn into annoyance, well more George than myself. I knew he was going to start acting sulky if he didn't have some biscuits soon.

The girl looked young, younger than me at least. She had fiery red, long hair and was wearing a denim jacket with a sickeningly frilly dress. Meanwhile, I was sitting in my plain denim jeans and black skin tight,long sleeve turtleneck. It was still too chilly for t-shirts for this time of year but my top was starting to suffocate me. 

This girl, I couldn't be exactly bothered to learn her name, had just sat down and was looking rather uneasy. Her hands were fiddling with a bracelet clasped on her wrist. As much as I thought I wasn’t adding to her discomfort, I probably was, this deduction was made by her avoiding eye contact with me almost entirely. 

Anthony told me he found me slightly intimidating the first time we had met, and said my dead-pan face made him almost nervous. I guess my expressionless face wasn’t best for interviews like this. But I didn’t care enough to make myself look more friendly to our guest who, by her chalk white face didn’t look like would be staying much longer. 

Just as Anthony was looking over the girl’s paperwork and we were just about getting to the interesting portion of the interview, the doorbell chimed. George and I shared a look, that was probably Arif with the donuts. Leisurely, he got out of his armchair and his comic accommodated the space he was just sitting in and headed for the door. I turned back into the conversation happening around me. I could faintly hear the conversation at the door. 

“Okay, take a look at this. Tell me what you think it is.” Anthony said after revealing the ghost jar in his usual elevated tone just as I focused back on their conversations.