New Me #Songkran2023 #ThaiNewYear2023

*Songkran 2023 Winning Entry*

+

It was day two of my best friend Malee's wedding weekend and the first day of Thai New Year. Yesterday, her wedding party - which included myself and 19 other guests - arrived in the city of Chiang Mai and checked into this beautiful, luxurious hotel. We had the opportunity to tour the hotel, eat a delicious brunch, have a relaxing massage, and eat a traditional Thai dinner while chatting with one another. A few old friends from school were invited so it was nice to see some familiar faces, but the majority of Malee's guests were strangers, at least to me. Regardless, everyone was super nice.

When I received Malee's wedding invitation in the mail months ago, I was stoked and a bit nervous. I had never been to Thailand in my entire life! Actually, I'd never traveled outside of my own country! Malee and I both grew up in the same boring American town in the Midwest, but always dreamed of living somewhere bigger and better. We managed to move out of our hometowns for college and grad school, keeping in touch as we were miles apart chasing our careers, but neither of us had the opportunity to travel international skies. But, look at us now! In less than 24 hours, my best friend will be marrying an educated, financially stable man who shares the same cultural and religious background as her. And she'll be doing it in Thailand, a country her family has deep roots in.

+

My first impression of Thailand is incredible! The people are super friendly and the architecture is so unique. I mean, look at this hotel lobby! There's tall marble pillars and large chandeliers hanging from the high ceilings... I feel like I'm in a museum! It's so quiet and peaceful, and it smells like flowers. Call me easily impressed, but everything is just...

"...so amazing..." I gasp as my eyes travel over every detail of the lobby.

"You're gonna get a crook in your neck if you keep doing that," Malee warns as she appears behind me with her husband-to-be, Prin, in tow.

"I think it'll be worth it... this hotel is beautiful!" I say with a look of awe.

"Isn't it? I'm glad we made this choice," Malee says while smiling up at Prin.

"I'm glad, too," Prin replies while wrapping a loving arm around my best friend. "So, Sasha, did you sleep well last night?"

"Like a baby. I've never had a King-sized bed all to myself. Not to mention, the pillows were fluffed to perfection," I reply with a goofy grin causing my friend to chuckle.

"That's great to hear," Malee smiles and her dimples appear. Then she glances behind me and raises her eyebrows like she forgot something as the sound of shuffling feet echoes through the lobby. "Oh! Looks like the other guests have arrived... Sasha, I actually meant to mention something to you. Prin, babe, give us a second."