11 | Imaginary Potato

"If the Fearless are to be believed and we're in a time warp, then it stands to reason that enough time has passed in the real world for our brains to be needing sleep," Potato whispered into comms. Her voice soothed Mori's buzzing nerves as she marched behind Cynthia, Ren, and Niko.

They'd left the tower at the crack of dawn for her trial match. At first, Perera's messages had come over the party comms, but the two of them switched to a private one when the others hadn't responded. Mori had learned her teammate's surname was Perera but she liked to be called Potato, and the reason they hadn't met was because Perera preferred the quiet at the top of the tower, where she watched the live feeds to gather information.

"Pretend the Fearless are right for this hypothetical," Mori said, kicking a rock along across the grass. "Players have been awake for over two years in-game, and likely over a day out of game. This sleep wouldn't take only a day or two—that'd only be a couple minutes in the real world—it's going to take months."

"Years." Perera gave a little gasp. "I don't think that's the worst part either."

"What's the worst part?" Mori waited. "Potato?"

"This is a little crazy, even for me but...you know how our fears can take form? The more vivid the thought, the more substance to the fear?"

Stray thoughts will get you killed. Your fears will manifest here. "I'm listening," Mori whispered.

"Nightmares. If the sleepers have bad dreams, this is going to be another crisis. But don't tell the others!" Perera added hastily. "We don't want to trigger a self-fulfilling prophecy. We can't do anything to prevent it, so it'd be for the best if everyone takes the news like Niko."

Mori's teeth worried at her lip. She doubted she was at risk, but the rest of her team were. "Got it. Better hope we reach the center before then." A cheer erupted ahead of her, the battlefields coming into view. "I'll talk to you after the match, 'kay? Thanks for helping me come up with a plan."

"Sure, but—yeah, we'll talk after," Perera said, though her words drifted closer to inaudible towards the end. Their communications line closed.

Flexing her hands, Mori shook out her shoulders. Mind over matter. You've got this. She strode over to where Ren waited at the edge of a barrier while Cynthia and Niko circled to the other side.

Ren stepped behind Mori to slap her on the shoulders. "Ready? Niko uses a shotgun, by the way. Likes to blow out the—"

"Kneecaps," Mori finished. At Ren's questioning look, she smiled. "A little potato told me I could expect a slow death. Too bad I'm planning a quick one for him."

Ren grinned. "I missed the old you. Glad she's back."

"Good to be back." She meant it. Preparing a strategy, rising to a challenge—you couldn't get the same high when working a 9 to 5 desk job, though spreadsheets were a saving grace.

Mori sucked in a lungful of air, then stepped into the fighting zone after the previous combatants vacated the premises.

Niko paraded over the line of crystals, waving and blowing kisses to their audience. "Hey, Mentos!" he yelled. "Hope you know I'm not going easy on you!"

"Wouldn't expect you to!" Mori answered over the automated starting sequence. She called her rifle, fitting it to the pocket of her shoulder, racking it, and popping the safety off.

Signature powers are the great equalizer in Valor, Perera had told her. You can only use them once per battle, but the reaches of your mind are the limit. Not imagination, but faith. Don't underestimate what you or your opponent can do with them.