Chapter 64

Madelaina:

The next day, Luca woke up early, which caused me to wake up early. He said he needed to leave but since I'm not a morning person and he already felt bad about leaving me, he lay with me for a little while longer.

Once he actually left, I got ready for school and went about my day as normal. Which brings us to now.

Althea and I are currently in the nook, staring at an unbothered Giovanni, who is lounging on the far sofa, reading an old-looking book.

"What's going on with you?" Thea asks him.

"I've not the slightest idea what you're talking about."

"Come on, Giovanni. We're just worried about you. You haven't been yourself lately."

"There's no need to worry. I'm perfectly fine."

"Lies." Thea crosses her arms.

He snorts and quirks a brow, not taking his eyes off of the page. "You and Angel are perfect for each other."

"Don't try and deflect. This is about you."

"Right." I add. "So please cooperate with this interrogation with the proper manner."

"This is supposed to be an interrogation?" His tone is full of amusement.

"Yes." We both say at the same time.

"That's cute." He flips over a page.

"We're being serious." Thea narrows her eyes.

"That's what makes it cute." Giovanni chuckles and shuts the book, finally turning his full attention to us. "Go on then. Do your worst."

"Will you just tell us what's wrong?" I plead with him. "We want to help make you feel better."

"Exactly. You haven't smiled in weeks. And I mean really smiled. You still do like now, but they're void of light. We miss your light." She pouts and he shakes his head softly.

"You two are terrible interrogators."

"Fine." Thea grabs a pillow and launches it at his head. "Then for every time you don't answer our question, we'll hit you with a pillow."

"There are only four more on that side of the room." He points out.

"Hey, if you can argue so wittily then you can answer a simple question." I glare at him.

"And if you still refuse, we'll just have to continue to pester you." Althea lifts her chin.

Giovanni smiles and lowers his head, running a hand through his hair.

"Alright."

"Really?" We question simultaneously.

"Sit, children." He gestures for us to take a seat on the sofa opposite of him and we hastily comply. He levels is with a look. "I don't want the boys to know yet."

We both wait a moment but then nod.

"I mean it."

I purse my lips but then hold out my pinky finger.

Althea takes it and Giovanni raises a brow before scoffing humorously and also taking it.

Once we're all settled, he takes a breath.

"My grandmother is sick."

My face falls. "Giovanna?"

"Yes." He voice goes hoarse.