Chapter Seven: The Girl with the Glasses IV

"SERIOUSLY? Not even a week in, and you're already suspended?"

It was a peaceful Saturday at nasa sala kami ni Inari. She brought some snacks with her when she found out that I'd be suspended next week. Unlike Noam, who kept on nagging and reprimanding me, Inari was all laughter and promises of visit. Kaya mula kahapon at hanggang sa matapos daw ang house arrest ko, dito siya tatambay.

Of course, since she's my childhood bestfriend, it's not supposed to be a surprise. Kaya naman, I found it weird when Noam looked shocked at Inari's frequent visits.

"At dahil pa nakipag-away ka... para sagipin ang iba?!" she exclaimed, then falling in a fit of laughter that only she knew about. "Gosh, Morri, that curse they placed on you is fantastic! Hindi ka lang nawalan ng memorya, bumait ka pa!"

I glared at her. "Ano ang mabait sa pag-away ko sa limang babae? I destroyed their faces."

"I mean, those mean streaks of yours... hindi mo na ata mababago 'yan. But, it's the first time since five years ago that you fought for other people's sake."

First time since five years ago? When I was ten...?

Kumunot ang noo ko. "Anong ibig mong sabihin? Does it have something to do with why I tried to kill Brielle?"

"Well, for Brielle," she paused, averting her gaze, "it was a complicated situation and..."

Naputol ang sasabihin niya sa sunod-sunod na doorbell. The impatient ringing made me scowl. Isang tao lang naman sa buong bayan na 'to ang alam ang bahay ko at magdo-doorbell na walang bukas.

Nakasimangot kong binuksan si Noam. I was about to scold him when the sight of Willow shut me up.

"Willow," parang tangang banggit ko sa pangalan niya.

The girl smiled shyly at me. "H-hi, Morri! Uh... tinanong ko si N-Noam kung saan ka nakatira para doon s-sa tutoring session..."

I blinked. It's a Saturday so I wasn't expecting her, but I can't dismiss her now, right?

Tumango ako sa kaniya. "Ah, oo nga pala. Pasok ka, Willow," sinulyapan ko ang lalaking nakakunot-noo sa tabi niya. "Ikaw. What do you need?"

"You've got tutoring session?"

The disbelief in his voice made me agree internally. Me? A tutoring session? If this was my previous life, that meant hell would freeze over. My ability to memorize and remember just anything is a gift geniuses would cry for.

"Yep," I answered, popping the last syllable. "Medyo trip kong magbagong-buhay this year, so first, I wanted to raise my academic rank," I smirked. "Maybe even get the top spot?"

To my surprise and great offense, the man friend laughed.

"Pft. Morri, even if you study your ass off, I don't think na kaya mo kahit top one-hundred," natatawang pahayag niya.

My eye twitched. Nang tuluyang makapasok si Willow ay hinarangan ko si Noam sa pintuan at nginitian ka ng pagkatamis-tamis.

"Maybe not the top spot, but I'll surely be ranked higher than you," then I slammed the door in his face.

Nang lumingon ay nakita ko ang gumugulong sa sahig na Inari sa kakatawa at si Willow na tila takot na takot sa nangyari. She eyed me anxiously. I gave her a reassuring smile and made her sit on the table, next to Inari, who was busy slapping her stomach.

Tawang-tawa ka, girl?

Sitting down, I glared at the woman, subtly kicking her knee under the table. She hissed in pain, shooting me an annoyed glance before sitting straight and smiling gracefully. Sunod niyang tiningnan si Willow na tila'y estatwang nakaupo sa tabi.