𝟎𝟎𝟐

( the jenna thing )

AFTER the funeral, the five girls decided to go to the Apple Rose Grille

AFTER the funeral, the five girls decided to go to the Apple Rose Grille. It was now nighttime, and they sat quietly. Josie glanced around, sipping from her straw before speaking up, "Why was Jenna there?"

Spencer shrugged, staring into her coffee cup. "I guess she's back."

"That cop acted like we were suspects or something," Hanna told them, frowning.

"Do you think we looked guilty?" Emily asked worriedly.

Aria furrowed her brows. "Why would we? We haven't done anything wrong."

"Except lie about the Jenna thing," Hanna stated.

Josie narrowed her eyes at her. "We promised we'd never talk about the Jenna thing again, remember? The Jenna thing never happened."

"Have you found a way to forget?" Aria asked her. She glanced between them."I still wake up sometimes in the middle of the night."

"Aria, it was an accident," Spencer reminded her, trying to calm her down.

Hanna pulled out her flask from before and poured the alcohol into her cup, catching the attention of an old man sitting across the room. Hanna looked up, seeing him staring. 

"It's medicinal." She told him with a tight smile. He continued to stare skeptically. "Cramps!"

Josie pursed her lips to hide her smile as Emily continued their conversation. "I don't get it. How does A know something about me that only Alison knew?"

"Ali knew all of our secrets, but ... we never knew any of hers." Aria said.

Spencer stared at the table, holding her cup. "I knew some."

When she didn't say anything after, Aria said, "Go on." Spencer glanced around but stayed quiet.

"Talk." Hanna snapped.

"I can't." Spencer told them.

"You can't drop a bomb like that and then shut your mouth again," Josie exclaimed, wincing when she realized she said it too loud.

"She'd so kill me if I told you!"

"She's dead." Hanna deadpanned.

Spencer hesitated before sighing. "Ali was seeing someone that summer."

Emily looked up with a gasp. "I knew she was keeping something from me! ... From us."

"Well, why didn't she want us to know?" Aria asked.

"He was an older boy," Spencer told them. "And he had a girlfriend."

"Who was it?" Josie asked, wanting to know more.