CHAPTER 27

I put my bag on the table and sat in my chair, I leaned my head and turned around. Life is too stressful! Ipinikit ko lalo ang mata ko nang marinig na may kumakatok.

"Doc, tawag po kayo sa nursery ward,"

Ha! I knew it!

Tumayo ako at kinuha ang white coat na nakasabit sa multi umbrella stand. I put it on as I walked to the said ward, I gave a smile to the other doctor I met while walking, normal naman na sa amin ang magbigayan ng ngiti kapag nagkakasalubong kung saan, ginagawa ko lang 'yon kapag close ko ang doctor or kilala.

Pumasok ako sa ward at nilapitan 'yung nurse na tumawag sa akin kanina. "The infant lost his breath earlier so I had to revive him," tumingin ako kay Warren na nagsalita. I frowned and took out the stethoscope to check the infant's heartbeat.

"Is she okay, Doc?" The mother asked me.

I looked at the nurse who was holding the chart and was waiting for what I was going to say. "Get him a chest X-ray right now." I told her. She nodded immediately and followed what I said, Warren was just waiting for what I had to say. I confronted the mother and explained to her why it happened. "And just in case, he can be operated on if necessary." I  said.

"Do it. I can pay," she said. I just gave her a smile at nagpaalam na ako sa kaniya dahil kailangan ko pang sundan 'yung nurse.

"Stop following me, Dr. Mendoza. I'm not in the mood to mess with you right now," I put my hand in my coat pocket and just kept walking. I was almost to the RAD Room when Warren stopped me so I stopped walking and backed up a bit because we were so close to each other. I took a deep breath before looking at him, I gave him a fake smile.

"Hindi mo ba ako pasasalamatan dahil ni-revive ko 'yung patient mo?" Warren asked. Nagulat ako dahil sa tanong niya kaya tinaasan ko siya ng kilay.

"As you should?"

"Not my responsibility,"

"It is your responsibility too. You are a doctor,"

"And he's not my patient."

"Alam mo, bumalik ka na roon sa department niyo. Get out of my way," hinampas ko ang braso niya at diretso nang naglakad. I even heard him laugh. Bwisit talaga 'yung lalaking 'yon! "See that? He really needs surgery because he has a hole in the wall or in the septum. Ventricular septal defect, that's it. Prepare an operation room now and call my team," binitawan ko ang radiograph at lumabas ng RAD Room.

Another day to operate the child.

I went to the operation room after talking to the child's mother and father again. When they agreed and there was nothing they could do because it was my decision, I am the doctor, I can save. Doctor Ty was my first assistant, everyone from my team is with me now in the OR. I looked up and saw Warren, standing with his hand on the railing, looking at me. Tinaasan niya ako ng kilay kaya binalik ko na ang atensyon ko para matapos na kami.

I just arrived at the hospital because I had something taken care of at the clinic I am working on near the Vienaiaz Law Group. Malapit naman na matapos 'yon, there is only one month left, that's what Nathalie and Andrei told me. Sila kasi ang kinuha kong architect para sa dream clinic ko. I used all the money I had saved. They support me there naman, even if that clinic is built, I will not leave this hospital.

After I graduated from medical school, I was immediately given an offer to enter this hospital. May other hospitals naman na nag-offer din sa 'kin pero rito ako pinilit ni Maeve, para raw magkasama kami. Magkaibang department nga lang.

I was so relieved when our surgery was successful. Doctor Ty is still really good at being a first assistant. "I will do the rest, you can guys go now. Nice job, everyone," I told them. I just sewed it up before the nurse assisted in returning the infant to the ICU. I took the cover off my head and walked out of the OR, I closed my eyes again when I heard the applause that came from Warren. "Run now," sinamaan ko siya ng tingin bago ko siya habulin dahil kanina pa ako naiinis sa kaniya.