Six: Bumpy

Suddenly, Eddie veered off the main road, driving up a slim, rocky dirt path that stretched far into the woods. The dim headlights of his van lit the tall oak trees that stretched to block any view of the night sky above.

Bouncing in my seat, I looked to him, confused. "What are you doing?"

"Shh." Was all he said. He seemed focused on his driving, paying close attention to the tight road. His big van barely fit through the trees.

Raising my brows, I pressed my lips in a firm line. "Okay then." Turning my attention back out the window, I stiffened, sucking in a breath. I didn't like where this was going.

The woods were so beautiful in Hawkins, but terrifying at night. The dark atmosphere of trees, moonlight, dry leaves and light fog framed the perfect picture for a horror movie. I could feel my lungs constricting, as though the seclusion of outside would trigger another short breathed panic attack. As awful as it was, it was true, the claustrophobia only frightening me more. It felt so suffocating and lonely. So I took to closing my eyes instead, listening to the soft rumble of rubble below the tires.

Minutes passed as we got farther and farther away from the street and into the woods. I actually began to feel drowsy, the sleep deprivation and craze of the night hitting me like a brick. My head felt heavy and my consciousness began to slip. But then the van came to a soft halt. Putting it in park, Eddie pulled the keys out the ignition.

"Hey, you awake?"

I stuttered awake, eyes fluttering and looking around in a daze. "Huh?"

"We have to get out here." He spoke, opening up the center console and digging around for something.

"Oh." I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, looking around. "Yeah, I was just falling... wait." I looked around, my environment looking no different from the last I'd seen it. I didn't see a lake house. Or a lake for that reason. "There's nothing here, I thought we were on some hidden shortcut to that house or something." I frowned, facing him.

He pulled out a box of cigarettes before looking up to me. "We sort of are. Except now, we have to walk the rest of the way."

I raised my brows, watching him wordlessly open his door and jump out, closing it with a gentle slam. He walked around the front, meeting me back at my door when he opened it for me. "Come on."

I slowly shook my head in confusion, stunned. "Wait, what?"

He stared up at me with a frown before sighing. "I can't leave my very obviously owned by Eddie Munson van in front of where we're hiding."

"Oh." I smiled slightly. "Right." I felt dumb.

"Sorry. Probably should've explained that first." Then he offered me his hand just like he did earlier today. A sad parallel. Still accompanied by a smile he somehow managed. Forced, but still genuine. I could only smile back in pity before taking his hand in mine again as he helped me down.

Once on my feet, I let go of his hand to shut the door behind me. Then found myself looking around again. There seriously was nothing but trees.

"How long is this walk?" I doubted this.

"Not too long. You'll be fine."

I frowned, looking down at my feet. "I'm exhausted."

I heard him take a deep breath. "Me too. Come on, we'll be fine." He turned a heel and began walking. I glanced at the van one last time before I took after him, following closely behind.

"Will your van be fine there?"

He looked sad. "I don't know, I hope so. Couldn't think of a better alternative."