Winds of change II

Thanduil's hand and the loud music was helping distract Tauriel from the fact that she had been the object of everyone's attention and gossip since she came out of the door that evening. She had asked Thranduil to not have any wedding ceremony and only make a short announcement about their union. She was grateful that the feast that evening was not exclusively to mark their union and was mainly focused on the victory against Sauron and the changes to come. 

Of course, one of these happy changes to be announced that evening was the King's new marriage, but it was just one of many things to celebrate. Tauriel was grateful that Thranduil also felt the same - he wanted to keep things as private between them as possible and not make too much fuss about their union. His views on status, duty and formality had changed a lot after the Battle of the Five Armies, especially when it came to personal matters. He was a lot more relaxed about expressing feelings and did not care as much to explain himself or his choices. In some way, he had managed to separate himself from his role as a King, something he could not do before. 

It was now the second time she was staying by Thranduil's side during a feast, the first time being in Dale after the last victory there. Tauriel tried to act as naturally as possible as she sat down on her large, beautifully-carved chair next to him. Her necklace was shining bright as she moved, the gems catching the lights in the celebration hall. There, all of a sudden, she could see what Thranduil was probably so used to... an image of the whole realm, even it's more distant halls, bridges and gates. It was such a position of power and she could observe the full splendour of their elven realm as well as notice everyone's movement. Suddenly, she did not feel watched anymore, rather she felt like she was the one who was watching.

Soon, the Lord and Lady of Lothlorien came with a little delegation and everyone's gaze turned towards the guests. Tauriel had never seen Lady Galadriel so closely and her ethereal way of walking of being was mesmerizing, just as her beauty. Her silver-blond hair seemed to radiate light and, involuntarily, it reminded Tauriel of Thranduil's hair; she smiled within herself. Galadriel's presence was truly intimidating as she came close by. 

She and Celeborn greeted them and Tauriel felt again a nervousness within her body as she sat next to Thranduil, welcoming such important guests. However, she tried to hide her anxiety and act with dignity. Celeborn and Galadriel's eyes fell upon her and it seemed as though they each scanned her very soul with their piercing, deep eyes, even if only for a moment. Galadriel gave her a warm smile, one she did not expect to see from the Lady of Lorien. Tauriel felt less flustered and more at ease as she smiled back at her.

Somewhere next to the King's feast table, there was the chest with White Gems exposed for all to gaze upon them, though guarded by soldiers. The gems caught Galadriel's gaze and she seemed quite familiar with their white-blue light, as if she had seen it before but was still admiring its beauty. Thranduil exchanged a few words with her and Celeborn about how he recovered them and the Lord and Lady of Lorien complimented the beautiful halls of the Woodland Realm and their fine decorations for the feast. Then, it was time for Thranduil to officially start the feast and talk about their guests. Gilros started as usual, standing up from the table, a goblet in his hand, and everyone turned silently.

'My dear friends and kinsmen. We are celebrating tonight the victory against evil. The accursed Ring of Sauron is now destroyed and the enemy of the free people of Middle-Earth is forever gone!'

Loud cheers started.

'We are celebrating many victories that our realm had against this evil but also honouring the many elven lives lost in the battles. May their souls find their way to the Halls of Mandos.'

Gilros placed a hand on his heart and all the elves attending did the same, murmuring short prayers or thinking about those lost.

'But most importantly, we are honouring our King who guided us with wisdom through such troubled times and valiantly lead his army into battle and towards victory.'