2 | Arrival

Ever since you had received that letter, you had been racking your brain on what your next course of action would be.

However, one thought was repeating in your mind. 

Why me?

It wasn't like you had achieved anything extraordinary enough to get noticed by the hotshots of the football industry. It was more than surprising that someone like yourself managed to land such a prestigious offer, let alone the kind that extends farther than a regional level—perhaps it was a mistake?

No, they addressed you by your full name.

So, then why?

What was so special about you?

You've always believed that studying was your sole talent, and that you couldn't qualify for anything else. The feeling of achieving good grades in class—for the longest time, that made you feel proud.

That feeling used to be enough, you thought. Anything more than that—it felt like a dream.

Perhaps that was why you were so drawn to football. All the excitement, and how foreign it was on your mind, it simply didn't feel real.

Despite all of your doubts and uncertainties, you had decided to take this opportunity.

A chance like this could allow you to go places you could have never imagined aiming for with any amount of studying.

You sat stiffly in the car, gazing out the window whilst you drove past blurs of recognizable landmarks that had collectively engraved a spot in your memory.

Your car had significantly slowed down as your father squinted his eyes, struggling to read the minuscule, and barely intelligible writing inscribed onto each building sign.

"I think it's that one." You pointed to a building with the same, strange blue pentagon emblem.

It was quite dull, the once colorful walls seemed to have corroded into nothing but a curious shade of beige. The gate was rusted and battered—it seemed like the building was only recently put to use.

You wondered if it was even safe to come here.

Your dad had steadily pressed the brakes until the car slowed to a stop—allowing you the chance to exit the vehicle.

"Keep in touch, Y/n. I love you..." He trailed off, seeming like he wanted to say more.

So he did.

"You know that your mom and I only want the best for you, right?" Your father looked at you through the front view mirror—his eyebrows knit together, and his lips pressed into a thin line. Concern laced his features.

Your parents were hesitant in allowing you to follow through with this internship. They had always hoped for you to become a doctor, or an engineer—something that was almost 'destined' to set you straight for the rest of your life.

It was clear that they didn't want this for you, and it bothered you slightly.

You wanted them to be happy with your choice too.

"I love you too, papa. I know, I'll be okay, I'll make sure to text you guys everyday." You attempted to give your dad the reassurance that he needed, even if it was futile, you knew that he needed any shred of encouragement.

Your fathers face twisted, and a faint smile was visible. He appreciated your efforts, nonetheless.

"I'll see you soon, papa."

He simply nodded. "Don't forget your bags," he reminded you one last time.

You smiled sheepishly, you almost shut the car door without taking your bags—nearly forgetting their existence.