Sacrifice

The next day started early. Davis returned to the room and took Tati, Mareno, and Lillian out to search for jobs that they may be interested in and well-suited to. The rest of the group was left in the room to their own devices, although they had permission from Davis to wander where permitted. Felicity and Zephyr stepped out and walked down to the hospice room, where Kiui and Huan still were. They spoke for a short while, then walked out and down the hallway where they hadn't been before. Nothing interesting seemed to be there, besides a few Personnell Only doors with the stink of minerals like sulfur, so they walked back down the cave in the other direction in hopes of going outside. They both agreed that the cold, fresh air would be good for them. The hallway was long, though, and the two conversed casually as they walked.

Unexpectedly, continuing their conversation from the night before, Felicity asked, "Does Tati like me?"

"Why are you suddenly so concerned about her?"

"Oh, I'm not sure," Felicity actually felt flushed or red in the face at the question; undoubtedly, her experience being coddled by Tatiana had changed her perception of the girl, and she was eager to learn more. She was also feeling down with the concept of someone hating her; she yearned to gain the respect of Tati. Zephyr was her brother and knew a lot about her, and so of course Felicity would ask him.

"Want honesty?"

"Always."

"Tati likes you okay. She's just cold-hearted. She doesn't really act like she likes anybody."

"Yeah, you're right. I'm not sure why I expected anything to change."

"You could just ask her yourself. She might be willing to listen."

"It's Tati we're talking about."

He chuckled, "Well, fair. But you don't know her like I do. She can be gentle if she likes you. You could at least ask."

"I guess. It sounds stupid to me, but you're never wrong."

He laughed, "I don't know about all that."

And she laughed, too, "Got a perfect track record."

He shrugged half-sarcastically, "Fair enough."

"That's something I like about you, actually," Felicity continued. "I can always trust you. Even if you were wrong, you'd always tell me what you believe to be true, even if it's hurtful, you'd always be honest with me... Right?"

"If it's hurtful I'd be hesitant, but if that's what you want..."

"That is what I want. Honesty is important to me, you know? I tell you everything. You're so much older than me and more experienced, I look up to you for advice."

"I don't think you have to. You're pretty mature on your own, Felicity... Even if you do look like you're 10." He made a pretend disgusted face.

"Hey! Rude!"

"Really though, how old are you? Like.. 11?"

She smacked him on the arm playfully, "No... I'm 14... I think... I haven't been keeping track of the days."

"Yeah. Actually, I mean what I said. Don't grow up too fast, though, Felicity... Especially now that we can relax. But it's impressive how you rose to the task once out on the water. You've helped us in a lot of ways."

With buzzing glee, she smiled proudly, "Why, thank you, Zephyr."

"Anytime... When's your birthday?"

"Late winter, December 12. Yours was early spring, right?"

"Yep... It's weird to be 18 for so long... I feel much younger. Feel more like your age, you know?"

"Well... You are a little immature," she joked.